Back to Main "Rosa Nettleton Book" Page


January 2, 1870

The "Light Fantastic Toe"-The "Social Hop" which came off Christmas Eve, under the supervision of A.G. Aldrich, Esq., was patronized to the extent of twenty-five couple. All passed off pleasantly. A New Year dance came off last night at the Althouse.


January 2, 1870

Personal-We take pleasure in giving to our home readers the following item which we clip from the Stratford Beacon, of Ontario:

"A Well Known Kent Face- His many friends in this village and neighborhood were glad the other day to greet once more the well known face of Mr. Henry Morgan, who has been for some time past sojourning in cousin Jonathon's domain. Mr. M. has been exercising his fine business talents in Charlevoix, Michigan, where, we learn from the Sentinel of that place, he has erected a fine house. He purposes, we are sorry to learn, becoming a citizen of the great Republic; and so soon as he can wind up his business in this section, will remove with his family to his future home. We sincerely hope his future may be prosperous. Such men as Mr. Morgan call ill be spared by any community; and that which secures him as a citizen is immeasurably the gainer."


January 2, 1870

Charlevoix Literary Society-After quite a period of discussion on Tuesday evening, the question -- "Resolved that the interests of the country demand the repeal of the Protective Tariff" -- was decided by the President in the affirmative. The reading which was advertised to come off was necessarily postponed, owing to the illness of Mr. Dixon. The question for next Tuesday evening is "Resolved, That corporal punishment should be abolished in the Public Schools." The President appointed as chief disputants, on the affirmative, Mr. A. K. Dougherty; on the negative, W. A. Smith.


January 9, 1870

Conflagration-The dwelling house of the Indian Chief, Louis Mac-saw-ba, about one mile from this village, was destroyed by fire originated around the stove-pipe.

February 6, 1870

(From Norwood)

Is it too much to say that the village site of Charlevoix has not its equal anywhere in its immediate vicinity, perhaps not in Michigan? It is only a matter of wonder that the half has not been told in its praise; and Charlevoix should have a reason of its own in making capital out of so rare a combination of scenery, wooded hill, water, valley and terrace, whose arrangement seems so perfectly to realize even the most artistic conception of a perfect landscape.

Pine River is a narrow, swift-running stream, so clear that the pebbles, glimmering through its lucent depths, seem but a foot or two beneath its surface, though in reality, its average depth is from five to seven feet. This stream forms a channel through two lakes ­ Pine and Round Lakes ­ Round Lake is round, sure enough; a circular mirror set in green, and sloping banks of shining white pebbles. Pine Lake beyond; seen through the opening of the trees and bayou, is another gem ­ broader, wider, stretching for fifteen miles away ­ blue mists wrapping its far shores; beautiful; shaded by wintry clouds, and almost, if not entirely imprisoned by ice.

Charlevoix is already planning great things for the coming time where it shall afford a safe, commodious harbor, through the very feasible project of widening the channel of the river to Round Lake with an eighth of a mile or so from Lake Michigan, and in that event the facilities for safe harborage will be superior to any in its vicinity.

Charlevoix has at present six stores that are doing a considerable trade with the country on three sides of it, besides the Indian trade, and the transients during the boating season. A good hotel ­ The Fountain City House ­ whose hospitality and cheer we can personally recommend; good schools; stated meetings; and its well-edited paper, The Charlevoix Sentinel, entitles it to a first place, and admits of no rival in the region anywhere.


May 1, 1870

Returned-The genial face of D. C. Nettleton, Esq., has made its appearance among us, after a winter's absence at Humbird, Wis. We bid him welcome.


May 1, 1870

Written for the Sentinel (the year being 1870):

Facts and Fancies of the Early Settlement of the Pine River Region

By a Citizen [The writer of this article was probably John S. Dixon-R. N.]

With the return of spring came quite a reinforcement to the little settlement at the mouth of the river. Though they pitched in the bite of the bay, to the westward of the river, they can be properly reckoned as part of the river settlement, especially when we consider that they made common cause that had wintered there the previous winter. The new arrival consisted of five married men and their families, accompanied by six single men. Among the latter was our neighbor Louis Geboo, who will not very soon forget the scenes that occurred at the river during the summer.

They had not been long on their new ground till they began to have their nets carried away by parties to them unknown, but they suspected the Mormons. Whether that suspicion was well founded let what is to follow prove. The spring months passed without anything unusual happening, and the summer half passed in the same manner till the afternoon of July, 1853. On that day all the women of the settlement were met at the house of Capt. Morrison, at a sort of quilting bee. It was, no doubt, something of a talking bee, withal; if not, fishermen's wives and daughters differ from the wives and daughters of any other men we know of. The men were all met, for some purpose, at the fish houses in the bay west of the river. It was a beautiful July day; the sun came down in good hay-making style; a gentle breeze was blowing from the west, just enough to ruffle the surface of old Lake Michigan into a sort of pleasant smile. In looking off on the lake toward Beaver Island some of them beheld two small boats standing toward the river, and to ascertain what they were as near as possible, a glass was brought into requisition and they were closely scanned. Meantime, the boats were standing on towards the river with all sails set; but soon, to the surprise of all present, their sails were taken in, and the oars shipped and manned, and the boats pulled towards the river, though the wind was fair for them to have sailed. That aroused the suspicion of the fishermen, and as soon as the two strangers had been hauled on the beach at the river, some of them took a boat and pulled over to see what was up. On ascertaining that they were Mormons, it was thought best to call the rest of the party over, so that they might be prepared in case of trouble, to defend themselves and families, and, if need be, act on the offensive. Before they could all get to the river, the Mormons had gone to the house where the quilting bee was going on, and had made their business known; and it is asserted that some of them said they would have what they came for if they had to walk in blood ankle deep. They were by no means choice in the language they used, nor how or to whom they addressed themselves.

One ­ the Sheriff, was particularly demonstrative, and seemed to take the lead of the Mormons, as far as talk was concerned, at any rate. Their pretended business was to summon three or four jurymen, as the Circuit Court was about to hold a session on the Island. The men that they had selected as their jurors were some that had once given their support and sympathy to the Mormon cause, but for some reason best known to themselves, they had ceased to feel as much interest in the cause as they had done, and had left them and were again mingling with the gentile world. Such being the case the individual referred to thought if they should go it might be the last court they would ever attend on the earth; therefore they refused to go with their former brethren and the result was considerable loud talk on both sides.

Facts and Fancies of the Early Settlement of the Pine River Region (cont.)

The names of the jurymen were Hull, Savage, and Moon, who looked on the story as a moonshine affair. The talk on both sides grew loud and furious, till at last someone mentioned "fight." At this the Saints said that they had not come here for a fight and would leave quietly if the jurors would go with them.

Just then one Henry Johnson became greatly excited and in a very threatening way declared his intention to fight. By this time the Mormons began to see that they were outnumbered, and in case of a fight would be roughly handled, so they started for their boats, with the intention, no doubt, of leaving as quietly as possible. The Gentiles went along keeping up the wordy fight as briskly as ever. The fishermen had some shot guns, a pistol or two, and three or four flint-lock muskets, but each party seemed to be waiting for the other to begin the affray, and just as the first boat was pushed off from shore, there was the report of a gun, and directly it was known throughout the camp of the fishermen that Louis Geboo was wounded.

That was the signal for the firing to commence, and several guns were discharged, some it is said, were fired into the air and others at the boat. Geboo had started to go down to the beach, near where the boats were lying, and on the way stopped to load his gun, and while in the act, was shot in the leg just above the ankle. As I have said before the report of the gun was heard but no one saw who discharged it, or whether it was fired from the boat or by some one on the shore, but from the position in which he stood, and the course of the bullet, it is pretty certain that it came from the boat. The sport was now fairly commenced and the excitement was very great; the Saints were straining every muscle to get their last boat afloat and get away. While one of them was bent over with his shoulder against the bow of the boat, pushing with might and main to get her off, a wicked Gentile, seeing his posterior well elevated, and thinking perhaps that the seat of life of a Mormon lay somewhere in that locality, stepped up and presented an old pistol very near the lower extremity of the spinal column, and pulled. But the pistol failed to obey the pull, and his Saintship escaped without injury.

When it was known that Geboo was wounded, the excitement and bitter feeling towards the Mormons greatly increased; and as they were pulling for dear life, and fast getting beyond the range of the old muskets, it was determined to give chase and overtake the fugitives. Suiting their actions to the determination two or three boats were shoved off, manned and started, and were fast closing up the distance between them, and would soon have overtaken the flying Saints, and made that, perhaps, the latter day to all on board; but fortunately the barge Mormon was within hailing distance of the Mormons before their pursuers came up, and she hove to and took them on board, and would not give them up to their enemies, nor allow them to come aboard; so they were delivered out of their hands.

The list of casualties was: On the side of the Gentiles, Louis Geboo, gunshot wound in the leg. On the side of the Mormons, there were several wounded, the exact number not fully ascertained by the Gentiles; however, there were four men known to have received severe wounds. The fishermen gained an easy victory, as the Saints did not return their fire, but made the best of their time in getting away. Their boats were pierced in a great many places with bullets, so much so that a man who afterwards owned one of them said he did not see how it was possible for any of them to escape being wounded.

The fishermen were victorious, the next thing was how to turn their victory to the best account. They knew that the Mormons on the island could send a strong force against them, and would likely do it; so they finally concluded that in their case "discretion was the better part of valor." So they thought they would change their base of operations to some more favored point. Acting on that idea, some left the same night for Little Traverse, and the others, with perhaps a few exceptions, left, if not the next day, in a day or two, on board the steamer Frank Moore, and the next place they pitched their tents was on Washington Island. Those of them who yet survive, are scattered around, some on the Island, and some among us, while others have departed for parts unknown, to relate to strangers the wonderful scene that occurred, and the savage fight they had with the Mormons at Pine River.


June 5, 1870

Charlevoix Lodge, F. & A. M., U.D.-The Dispensation of the Most Worshipful Grand Master for the organization of a Masonic Lodge in this village, arrived on the 28th. The first regular meeting will be held this (Saturday Evening).


June 19, 1870

New Bridge-A. M. Ross, Esq., the contractor, has commenced the construction of the new bridge across Pine River, of this village.


June 19, 1870
Beaver Island Excursion

Our time being taken up on this excursion we did not explore the Island as we would otherwise have done, consequently the ruins of the Mormon Temple, theatre, printing house, mills, and Elders harems remained unvisited by us. But we were inspired with a holy awe (?) upon being shown the exact spot where the Mormon King Strang was assassinated. We were also shown the residence of the Prophet, to-gether with the out-houses in the rear in which lived his twenty-six concubines. The Island is about fifteen miles in length, is seven miles in width in its widest part, and now contains, as we were informed, upward of one thousand inhabitants.

Prominent among the excursionists were Judge Ramsdell, U. S. Deputy Marhall Bartlett, R. Bartlett, R. Goodrich, Receiver U. S. Land Office, E. S. Pratt of Traverse City, S. C. Moffat, Esq., of Northport; Mr. Silkman of Browntown; and U. S. Deputy Collector Aldrich, A. Fox, Esq., A. Buttars, Esq., Sheriff Cooper and others of Charlevoix, nearly all of whom were accompanied by their families.

A term of Court was held by Judge Ramsdell in the Log School house between the hours of 10 and 12, for the County of Manitou. Naturalization of foreigners being the principal business.


June 26, 1870
The Pioneer Sunday School Work of Charlevoix

At the Robert Raikes celebration of the centennial of the organization of Sunday Schools, of this place, a week ago, Dr. Leach gave a succinct history of the early Sunday school work in Charlevoix.

The first Sunday school was organized by Mr. and Mrs. John S. Dixon, in their own house, a log structure near the shore of Pine Lake, in the fall of 1859, and continued in operation, with slight interruptions till some time in the summer of 1860. Mr. and Mrs. Dixon were the only teachers. The school consisted of ten pupils representing our families. Mrs. Dixon wrote to Mr. M. T. Marvin, publisher of the Missionary Herald, Boston, asking if something could not be done to assist the school in obtaining a library. Mr. Marvin referred her letter to the Young Peoples' Missionary Society, of Park Street Church. The result was a donation of a ten dollar library by the society. It is a commentary on the lack of facilities for transportation and travel in this part of the country at that time, that the library was six months in reaching its destination. In the winter, as all the children lived on the shore of Pine Lake, it was convenient for them to go to Sunday school on skates; the only drawback was they soon learned to spend a part of Sunday in skating after the school was over for the day. The children were nearly all young, and there was little teaching done, except to teach them to read the testament. Some of them first learned to read in that school.

From 1860 to 1865 there was no Sunday School. During the summer of the latter year, Mrs. Dixon taught one in the little log school house, on the Stockman farm, not far from where the Baptist resort is now located. This was followed by an interval of a year in which there was no school.

In the spring of 1867, Dr. Leach, who was a temporary resident of the place at that time, at the earnest request of several friends, organized a Sunday school in what is now the village, though at that time it was a village only on paper. The place of meeting at first was in a fisherman's shanty, nearly on the corner of Main and Bridge streets. The village site was then almost an unbroken forest. The young men cleaned out the shanty, putting empty barrels and worthless truck outside, and poles overhead. Windows, brought on purpose from Traverse City, were put into the building. Logs of wood were laid upon the floor, on which rough boards were placed for seats.

Singing books were ordered from Chicago, and Sunday school papers enough to supply all the children were subscribed for. The old library donated by the Boston young folks was still in a good state of preservation, and did good service. Nearly all the young ladies and gentlemen living in the vicinity became members of the school and were organized into a bible class, taught by Dr. Leach. There were sixteen in the class, though some who lived at a distance were necessarily somewhat irregular in attendance. Sixteen children were arranged in classes and taught by Mrs. Ainslie, Miss Lottie Ainslie, and Mrs. Chamberlain. The latter was not in the place when the school was organized. On her arrival, a part of the children were placed under her care, and Miss Ainslie, herself not much older than some of them, was allowed to go into the Bible Class. Miss Fannie Dixon was secretary, Joseph Dixon, librarian, and Mrs. Ainslie treasurer. For a considerable part of the summer, the Sunday school was the only religious meeting in the place.


September 11, 1870

Births, Deaths, and Marriages-Through the politeness of Hon. John S. Dixon, we are enabled to furnish the births, deaths, and marriages for Charlevoix County, for the fiscal year ending August 1st: Births, 41; deaths, 10; marriages, 7.


September 11, 1870

At the Annual School Meeting held Monday, September 5th, the usual business was transacted; among which was the election of A. Buttars as Assessor. The term of school for the year was decided upon, and which we considered a discredit to the district. Three months schooling in a year would be a disgrace to a community of Alaska natives; what would it be to us? We move a reconsideration of this action.


September 18, 1870

A. Buttars, Esq., is erecting a residence on State street, near the school house.


October 2, 1870

Within a few weeks we shall resume the publication of those interesting articles commenced last spring, entitled "Facts and Fancies of the Early Settlement of Pine River Region," which were discontinued during the illness of our contributor.


October 9, 1870

Facts and Fancies of the Early Settlement of the Pine River Region-No. 4

By a Citizen [The writer of this article was probably John S. Dixon-R. N.]

In the winter of 1855 the legislature passed an act to reorganize the county of Emmet, which provided there should be a meeting to organize the township of Charlevoix, on the first Monday of June, 1855.

On the day appointed there was a rush to the polls; but when we came to count noses we saw that the rush was not a great one, for there was but ten votes cast in all, and by the following individuals: Galen B. Cole, George F. Preston, James Young, Calvin Thompson, Hiram Thompson, Medad Thompson, F. J. May, John S. Dixon, S. Chambers and Mason Kidder. Galen B. Cole received seven of the ten votes for supervisor of the Township of Charlevoix. The same act provided that a county election should be held on the first Monday in July. This election was again carried by the above votes, there being no election held in the northern or Indian towns.

Some time between the two elections the honorable Supervisor had occasion to examine some Gentile property that had been brought to the neighborhood some time previous and stored in an old fish house. The property consisted of a new lumber wagon and a set of caldron kettles. Looking on the Gentiles as interlopers in the place, and enemies to the Church of the Lord, their effects were therefore the rightful possessions of the Saints, and if the cattle of a thousand hills were the Lord's why not the kettles and lumber wagon in the old fish house? That being so, it was for the Children of the Lord to dispose of them. So, his honor, the first Supervisor of Charlevoix, being of the Faithful, took it upon himself to notify the consecrating department of the Church on Beaver Island, of the whereabouts of the Gentile property. In a week or two a boat came and the spoils were accordingly taken and carried to the Island. For his part in the transaction, His Honor (it is said by those who pretend and should know) received half a barrel of flour. When confronted by the owner of the missing property, and charged with a knowledge of its whereabouts, he, in a very calm and solemn manner denied his agency in or any knowledge of the transaction. There were others though, belonging to the same church with His Honor, who had a knowledge of the matter, and being more conscientious could not, when questioned about it, successfully conceal their knowledge. These were women. Acting on hints from them, and information derived from other sources, the Gentile owners of the property went over to the Island, and on laying his case before the Prophet Strang, recovered the property. Soon after this a boat was taken, owned by J. S. Dixon, this was finally found and recovered, but the parties with whom the boat and some lumber was found belonging to Wm. B. Sterling swore out a warrant for Dixon, and he was taken before a Justice, and he would have been fined had he not turned over pumpkins and corn-fodder as sureties but did not get his boat back.

Somewhere about the time that the above events were transpiring the Church of the Latter Day Saints of Beaver Island came over in full force to hold a sort of celebration or picnic on a small island near the mouth of South Arm, since known as Holy Island. Various stories are told of the proceedings on the island. Some say it was to pray for the overthrow of the Gentiles, and the triumph of the true church throughout the world, while others who were there claim it to have been nothing but a social picnic, without reference to church matters. However that may be, it is evident that they prayed for vengeance on some that they denied to be their enemies. It is also known that they intended to feast while there on Gentile oxen; but one who knew of their designs, warned the Gentiles of their intentions, and the oxen were driven out of their reach and they were deprived of their roast.

Facts and Fancies of the Early Settlement of the Pine River Region-No. 4 (cont.)

The proceedings on the island was under the supervision of their prophet Strang, at least, he was there. When the meeting on the island broke up, and the Saints had reached the river on their return, they halted long enough to erect a gallows at the mouth of Pine River on which they hung several Gentiles in effigy. The gallows were erected under the immediate direction of Strang. They were constructed out of cedar. The posts were round, with a cross-beam framed on the top. The cross-beam was made of hewed timber. Some say the posts were twenty or thirty feet high. There were five holes through the cross-beam with a piece of rope drawn through each, and to the end of each rope was suspended a wooden image about three feet long. I have seen one of them, and it reminded me of some of the heathen gods that I had seen at the Smithsonian Institute, at Washington. It had very little resemblance to anything earthly. On one of the images was written "John S. Dixon, successor of the Pine River murderers. May his days be few and his name lost among men. God hear our prayers, and those of our wives and children for vengeance!"

When the gallows were visited by the Gentiles there were four of these images hanging under the cross-beam, and the fifth laid on top of the beam, probably having been thrown up by the action of the wind. When taken down it was found there had been written on them the names of Joseph Lobdell, David Lobdell and William Savage. The other two were marked one as stated above, and on the other was pictured a coffin, and three persons represented as walking away from it. On it was the following inscription: " Dixon in his dying hour, abandoned by his friends."

The hanging of the images was the closing scene of the Holy Island meeting, picnic, celebration, feast, convention or whatever it might be


October 16, 1870

Facts and Fancies of the Early Settlement of the Pine River Region-No. 5

By a Citizen [The writer of this article was probably John S. Dixon-R. N.]

The situation to Mr. Dixon in the attitude presented by the Mormons was not pleasant to contemplate so he sent his family to a place more safe. After harvesting his crops he followed them. Late in the fall he returned and took his potatoes in a boat around to Bear Creek, where he disposed of them and returned to his family at Northport.

The withdrawal of Dixon and his family left the Mormons in quiet possession of the field. Winter was drawing near and as they had not raised enough to supply them through, it was necessary for some of them to go to the Beavers for supplies; and for that purpose George Preston procured a small vessel called the Maid of the Mist, owned and sailed by Jonathan Pierce. When they had their load aboard and ready to sail for the river, the wind was adverse, accompanied by snow and rain. It being late in the season, Mr. Preston anxious to return to his family before winter would close in, they did not wait for the wind to change or the storm to abate, but started, no doubt in hope that the wind would soon change. How far they got, or what happened to their boat was never known. Some thought she filled and others that she capsized; at any rate none of her passengers or crew ever reached shore to tell the tale. The boat was afterwards found below Little Traverse, also a trunk belonging to one of the young men who took passage on her. The names of the unfortunate were Capt. Jonathan Pierce, George Preston, David See, and Horace Bump. When at last the painful intelligence came that the boat and all on board was lost, a gloom came over all the settlers and overwhelmed the families of the unfortunate men with grief.

The winter was one of the coldest that we have account of in the region of Grand Traverse. In February, the ice formed from the main land to the Beavers solid enough to carry teams in safety from the Island to Pine River and Bear Creek. Those to cross were Basil Young, Luther Cook, Oren Cook, and William See. After they returned to the Island several teams came over with grists to the mill at Bear Creek and others brought their families and household effects. Orson Campbell brought a grist of forty-one bushels of wheat, had it ground and returned with it to the Island in safety.

The new comers settled down among their brethren, and began early in the spring to clear land and plant seed; for they were of the class of Saints that were inclined to be industrious, either in clearing land or clearing out with Gentile property; and as a reward for the latter industry, they were finally fair to clear out and leave the country, and some of the fruits of their labors for the Gentiles to reap.

While they were busy sowing and reaping on the mainland, their brethren on the Island were busy sowing the seed of disaffection between themselves and the Gentiles which finally resulted in their being driven from the Island. The storm of indignation which they had provoked by their many and oft repeated acts of lawlessness, did not only affect the Islanders, but involved the little settlement at the river, and they too were obliged to leave the homes that they had selected around Pine Lake, for parts unknown, and many of them, no doubt, look back to the beautiful scenery and pleasant locations they had selected, and long to return; and would no doubt, were it not for seeing their homes in the hands of the hated Gentiles.

There are many incidents connected with the exit of the Mormons from the Island and the river. It appears that at one time, the Sheriff from Beaver Island, accompanied by one or two others, were at the River in search of two enterprising Saints, who had committed some trifling offense against the laws of the State in such case made and provided, and they called at a certain house to make inquiry, and found there one lone widow, who on being questioned said she knew naught of the men. She stepped out, however, and went towards her own cot, the officers and his posse following.

Facts and Fancies of the Early Settlement of the Pine River Region-No. 5 (cont.)

On arriving at the house and making an examination, they found the bed yet warm where they supposed the men they were in search of had slept. This roused their [anger] against the poor widow as well. She had been guilty of what seemed to them a great crime. The Sheriff and his posse being men that were not to be trifled with, were bound to punish the widow for helping the culprits to escape. They told her very kindly to take her things out of the house, for they were going to burn it down. She refused to do so and the match was applied; not however; till the Sheriff and those with him had removed part of her things. Notwithstanding their doing this, a goodly share of what she had was consumed with the house.


October 23, 1870

Facts and Fancies of the Early Settlement of the Pine River Region-No. 6

By a Citizen [The writer of this article was probably John S. Dixon-R. N.]

For some time before the arrival of the Sheriff and his posse, the Mormons were expecting a visit from such individuals, for they had heard of the doings on the Island, and had good reason to believe that they would share the fate of their brethren. The mob who drove the Mormons out of Pine River consisted of fourteen of fifteen men, a part of whom came from Mackinac, and the balance from other places around the Straits and the foot of Lake Michigan; most of them claiming to be losers of fishing tackle, boats, or other property, all of which losses were charged to the consecrating Mormons; and now, in revenge, they came to drive the consecrators from the country.

It was somewhere about the last of June or the first of July that they arrived at the River, and in a few days the Mormons had left for parts unknown. There were only one or two families against whom there was no complaint and they would have been allowed to remain, but they chose rather to go with their brethren, and leave the Gentiles in full possession of the field. In leaving when they did on such short notice, they were obliged to leave their fields of growing crops to the disposal of the Gentiles. At several points around Pine Lake they had made improvements, and had, in the whole, quite a number of acres of potatoes and other crops.

Whether they left their homes in the wilderness with regret or rejoicing we are unable to say, but the fact of some of them returning to the scenes of their persecution (if such they believed it to be) would indicate that they had formed an attachment for the place strong enough to induce them to sever the social ties that bound them to their brethren, and led them back to the beautiful country around Pine Lake, though it was being settled and their former homes occupied by the hated Gentiles.

The driving out of the Mormons left Medad Thompson and family the only white inhabitants of the Pine River settlement. But he did not remain long in his solitary situation, for Dixon, who had been driven off by the Mormons the fall before, on learning that his old neighbors had left the place, returned to look after his abandoned premises. He came alone, not wishing to bring his family until he was sure he could do it with safety.

About the beginning of August, if one had been on the bluffs at the mouth of the river, a sail might have been seen coming around the point from the direction of Little Traverse; and as she neared the river there might have been seen at the helm a man whose hair and beard was sprinkled with the frosts of fifty years; and moving about were a number of young ladies, the daughters of the Captain at the helm. The vessel was the Rover and her crew and passengers consisted of Samuel Horton and family, who had come all the way from Toledo, Ohio, which place they left in the month of May.

Facts and Fancies of the Early Settlement of the Pine River Region-No. 6 (cont.)

They had left Toledo with the intention of coasting it around to Grand Rapids, where two of Mr. Horton's sons were living; but getting short of sea stores they put into Pine River, in hopes of getting a fresh supply. The wind had been adverse for several days consequently when they entered the river they made up their minds to stop for a few days, or until the wind became more favorable. Day after day the wind continued adverse, and finally it decided their destiny as far as their future home was concerned.

On a certain day it was determined to start if the wind was fair; if not they would take it as an indication that the Fates had ordered that their home should be by the bright waters of Pine Lake; and accordingly the prow of the Rover was turned toward the head of the lake.

They settled on a Mormon improvement in the bay now known as Horton's Bay, nine miles from a neighbor, and at that time very little prospect of neighbors soon. How dreary must have been the first winter, and how must they have wished themselves back in Toledo. But they braved it through not only that winter without many of the comforts of life, and the society of neighbors, but for several succeeding winters; till now, as the sands of life began to run low, and the evening shades drew near, they see settlements spring up all around the lake, and they, as it were, surrounded by neighbors good and kind.

The Rover was for several years the largest craft on Pine Lake, and, owing to her peculiar build and in some respects dilapidated condition, was an object at which was fired many a joke and witticism. She was like many other noted vessels, the theme for the poets, some singing her praises, while others sang of her unseaworthiness or her peculiar anchor. However unseaworthy she might have been, she carried many a load of staves and hoops from the River to the Beavers, and, in return, brought provisions in safety to those who had been left in hard circumstances had she been cast away.

The arrival of the Rover was an incident in the early settlement of the Pine River country that will be long remembered by some of its inhabitants, especially by A. Buttars, Esq., of the firm A. Buttars & Co. He came as a passenger on her from the Saginaw country. Whether the idea of making the trip in the Rover, or a desire to be in company of her fair passengers, was what attracted him we cannot say; but the facts are he came on the Rover, and we leave your fancy to conjecture why he came.


October 23, 1870

"The Sentinel"-This is the name of a handsome sailboat just launched by Seth F. Mason, Esq., of this village. Mr. Mason, with gracious benignity, conferred upon us the honor of christening this little vessel, and we trust it has not been misplaced. The "Sentinel" is of 22 feet keel, six feet nine inches beam, and sails admirably. She was built for the private use of the builder, and extra pains were taken in her construction.


October 30, 1870

Facts and Fancies of the Early Settlement of the Pine River Region-No. 7

By a Citizen [The writer of this article was probably John S. Dixon-R. N.]

Some time before the arrival of Mr. Horton and his family Mr. Dixon thought, as the Mormons had left the River, that he would again bring his family back to his home at that settlement. At Northport, Mr. Dixon chanced to meet John Miller, who had just landed there from St. Lawrence county in the State of New York, in search of a home in the wilds of Grand Traverse, for as yet the country around the Bay was not known as the celebrated farming and fruit-growing region, but had been described as a sort of sandy waste.

Mr. Miller, having no particular locality in view, on being informed of the condition of things at the River, resolved to settle there, and accordingly made arrangements for the passage across the Bay. He landed at the mouth of Pine River on the evening of the 26th of October, and on the 14th of November moved to his present location at the head of Pine Lake, Samuel Horton being his nearest neighbor-seven distant miles.

Messrs. Miller and Dixon and families were the last arrivals for 1856. That winter none of the families lived near enough together for chickens and hogs to be troublesome, and for that reason, perhaps, they were on better terms than neighbors might be living nearer.

In the summer of 1857 the arrivals were pretty numerous and there were some important additions to the settlement; J. R. Dean, A. A. Corwin, and J. F. May arrived in June, and toward the close of the season, S. F. Mason and family. Mr. Mason came on and made his selection, put up a house, and made every arrangement for the comfort of his family, before returning for his family. M. J. Stockman and wife, John V. Mason, and Wm. Stockman came as passengers with Mr. Mason.

Hugh Miller and family arrived the next spring and made an improvement on a railroad lot now occupied by I. S. Webster.

The winter of 1857-8 was to many of the newcomers pretty gloomy, and before the opening of navigation in the spring most of them were out of provisions. At that time the only place that provisions could be procured was at Northport; in some instances a little relief was found at Bear Creek. How many times did the inhabitants, by turns, go to the bluffs in the spring in hopes to see a passage through the ice for a small boat; and the first opening that presented itself was taken advantage of and the people beheld with delight a boat depart that they, in a day or two expected to see return with the much needed pork and flour. In a few days it came, and great was the rejoicing thereat.


November 6, 1870

Facts and Fancies of the Early Settlement of the Pine River Region-No. 8

By a Citizen [The writer of this article was probably John S. Dixon-R. N.]

The summers of '57 and '58 saw a good many new comers. For some reason, best known to themselves, several of them saw fit to leave the following summer and fall for other localities, where they thought they would do better than by staying in the wilderness around the lake.

Among those who thus took leave of their friends and neighbors of the new settlement were Aaron Corwin, J. R. Dean, Cross and the Bebees. The majority of them went to Elk Rapids.

The departure of so many of the settlers made many of those who remained dissatisfied with their home in the woods. There was but little at the time to encourage them. If they raised a quantity of wheat or corn, it was worth more to get it to the mill than it was worth when ground. The summer of '60 presented no great improvement in the situation of affairs. But few came to the settlement, and most of those who had been there occupied the greater part of their time about something that would bring the quickest returns, in order that their families might not suffer. In consequence of their being thus employed they could make but little improvements on their farms. Their principal employment was getting out hoops and staves.

During the summer some who are now far above the necessity of resorting to either hoops or staves, and are in no way afraid of the wolf, were then glad to see corn ready to roast; and during the season of green corn it comprised the principal part of their bill-of-fare. They constructed machines for the purpose of cutting the corn from the cob by fastening knives in the end of sticks.

There was much to discourage timid settlers, there being no way to get out except by small boats, and as they thought, but little prospect of any other way; and great fault was found with Mr. Dixon by some, for not doing something that would at once bring steamers to the River. Because he hoped to own the land at the mouth of the river, they reasoned that he should build docks, and mills, and various other things for the benefit of the settlement. For, though the settlers were not very numerous, there were unreasonable ones among them then, as well as now.

In the winter their prospects began to brighten, for they were promised a grist-mill, and work was commenced by Wm. H. Holland. He bargained for a privilege on Mill Creek, that was owned by Medad Thompson and Hugh Miller. He erected a saw-pit and sawed the plank for his flume by hand. The inhabitants turned out and assisted in getting out the timber and building the dam. For weeks he labored and delved in the deep snow and water, chilling his feet; and at last, from some cause, his hopes became chilled and he abandoned his project and left his mill as a monument to attest the truth of the Scottish bard's saying that "the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft aglee."


November 20, 1870


No casualty has sent a thrill of sadness to so many hearts in this vicinity as the sudden death of our esteemed fellow-citizen Seth F. Mason.

He was born on the 24th of April 1820, in the town of Deerfield Portage County, Ohio, and consequently was aged 50 years, 6 months, and 21 days. About the year 1845 he moved to Au Sable River, in Iosco County, Mich., where he entered into partnership with J. G. Stockman in the fishing business. In 1848 he was married to Miss Eliza A. Stockman. He subsequently moved across Saginaw Bay to Point Au Barques, in Huron County, Michigan, where he continued to reside until the 18th day of October, 1857, when he, with his family and Morris J. Stockman and wife, sailed for Pine River at which place they safely arrived on the 25th of the same month, and have continued to reside here since then.

For the last ten years he has chiefly engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was also a skillful mechanic, and since residing here has built a number of sailboats, which are named as follows, to-wit; Rocket, Fish Hawk, Union Jack, Nightingale, Berty Mac, Velocipede, and Sentinel.

As to the circumstances relating to his death we give the following extract from the verdict of the Coroners Jury, viz: "That his death occurred on the 15th day of November, 1870, between the hours of six and eight in the afternoon of said day, in the waters of Lake Michigan, near the mouth of Pine River, in said county of Charlevoix; that he was then and there sailing in his own boat, in company with Wallace Manney, endeavoring to enter the mouth of Pine River, and it happened accidentally and by misfortune that said boat was overturned by the wind and sea; and after clinging to the boat for a time, the said Seth F. Mason was, by force of the sea and waves, forcibly washed from the said boat, and suffocated and drowned; and then and there by such suffocation died; and so the jurors aforesaid do say that the said Seth F. Mason, in manner and by the means aforesaid, accidentally, casually, and by misfortune come to his death, and not otherwise."

In the community Mr. Mason was always regarded by all who knew him as an honest, benevolent, and enterprising citizen. He was a very affectionate and indulgent father, and a kind and generous husband. He leaves a wife and nine children to mourn his loss; a large circle of relatives and friends, whose warmest sympathies are with the bereaved family.

The funeral took place yesterday at one o'clock P. M. The religious services were conducted by the Rev. W. Barrett, who chose for his text the following words: "He hath done all things well."


November 30, 1870

Early in the spring of '65 damages were repaired and the dock completed. The first propeller to call at their dock was the City of New York, one of the Northern Transportation Co.'s boats. Early in May the machinery and material for the erection of a saw-mill were landed at the river, and the people were led to believe that a want that was much felt was about to be supplied; but they were doomed to be disappointed. The owner of the mill machinery did not arrive until the month of August and business was not commenced until September. The site that had been abandoned by Wm. Holland was selected, a dam of heavy timber was thrown across the creek, and a substantial frame was erected by the middle of December, when work was suspended until the following spring.

When the spring opened and the water through the dam was closed and an attempt made to raise the water it was found the dam was of no use. Notwithstanding the substantial manner in which it was built, it was not adapted to the sandy foundation on which it was erected.

Three times during the summer it was repaired, and as many times swept away, each draining the pond and the pocket of the unfortunate proprietor, until he was obliged to abandon the prospect and resort to his hammer and tongs as a means of obtaining his potatoes and pork.

During the summer and fall of '65 the Dock Company erected their boarding house and barn, and Hon. Philo Beers built the main part of his present residence. Mr. C. Van Riper erected the upright part of the house now occupied by Nelson Ainslie, Esq.

1866 passed off without any very marked improvement in the village though several new comers had settled at various points around the lake; but the spring of '67 opened with brighter prospects. The firm of A. Fox & Co. had made a contract with a firm in Buffalo, N. Y., to build a tug for use on Pine Lake in towing their wood from the different points around the lake to their dock. They also had four scows built at Northport for the wood trade of Pine Lake.

Some time during the month of June their tug arrived and an attempt was made to back her against the current, but the undertaking proved a failure; the more they worked her the firmer she became imbedded in the gravel. Ways were then laid over the bank where the present channel is, over which, in the course of a few days, she was successfully launched into the river. In a short time steam was up, and the whistle of the "Little Favorite" was echoing across the lakes, to the joy and delight of the inhabitants.

The next thing was to make a passage to Pine Lake which was accomplished previous to the 4th of July, and on the morning of that memorable day the waters of Pine Lake were for the first time plowed by the prow of a steamer.

The same fall Messrs. Reddington, Nelson & Co. came to look for a location for their mill. There was some talk of buying the interest of Fox & Rose in the dock, but not agreeing on the terms they left, but not until they had made a conditional bargain for the present site of their mill. All that winter the place was full of rumors about their intentions. But notwithstanding one Sunday morning in the month of May 1868, the Maple Leaf arrived with the mill and all appurtenances thereto belonging. Work was immediately commenced not only on the mill but in the woods and long before winter had set in, several cargoes of lumber had been shipped and the mill had become a permanent institution.

The same summer saw the first regular attorney settle in the county, in the person of E. H. Green, Esq. He at once commenced the erection of his neat little cottage, and seemed to be in an unusual hurry to get it completed. The fact is, he was contemplating matrimony, and his mind was verging upon lunacy. This fall we were again favored with another resident M. D., in the person of one Gilbert, who practiced here a month or two, then removed to Elk Rapids.

The summer of 1868 saw quite an improvement in the village, several dwellings and Wm. Laister's store. 1869 was an eventful year. One of the principal events was the establishment of a newspaper in the place. April 24th the first number of the Charlevoix Sentinel saw the light. E. H. Green, Editor and published by Willard A. Smith for D. C. Leach. To say that it was ably edited and neatly printed would be but doing it justice.

The next event was the organization of Charlevoix county, which was fully consummated at the election on the first Monday of May, or rather on the first Tuesday succeeding said election, where the county canvassers met according to the requirements of the Act of Organization.

Then the arrival of Minnie Warren was quite an interesting event. There came the filling up of the new store of A. Buttars & Co., with a large stock of general merchandise. The organization of the Harbor Improvement Company, and the opening of the new channel for the upper river, and turning the channel of the lower river at its mouth.

So much for the improvements of 1869, and now for the arrivals. The principal arrivals were the family of Wm. Nelson, of the firm of Reddington, Nelson & Co., and Dr. L. Lewis. The only other arrival during the past summer was Henry Morgan and family, and the only note-worthy events were the sailing of the scow Maple Leaf and the schooner Wm. Smith into Round Lake.


November 30, 1870

Is the original name for Mackinac or Mackinaw. An old Indian legend relates that a very long time ago a great number of Indians assembled at Point St. Ignace whilst they were intently gazing at the rising sun during the great Manitou, or February moon, they beheld the island suddenly rise up out of the water assuming its present form. From the point at which they viewed it, it bore the resemblance to the back of a huge turtle, whereupon they gave it the name Moe-che-ne-mock-e-nung, which means a great turtle.


November 30, 1870

In this article we purpose a brief mention of the hotels of Charlevoix.


This house originally commencing in 1867 was simply the boarding house for the men in the employ of A. Fox & Co., and consisted of the West wing of the house, which was then only one story and a half high. The growing popularity as a summer resort forced Mr. Cooper into enlarging his accommodation, and the large three story upright was erected in 1877. Again last year the house was found to be insufficient in size to meet the requirements, and a large two story addition was built in the rear of the upright. The house has a large number of rooms, occupies a sightly position, and is during the summer months crowded to overflowing. Mr. Cooper, the landlord, has an enviable reputation among tourists and sportsmen.


Two years ago Messrs. Crone and Dorman came from Mackinac here and erected what is known as "Ingleside" boarding house. It is upon the south-west corner of Bridge and Clinton streets, is a fine looking building, having front verandas commanding unobstructed views of the harbor and Pine Lake, and is a deservedly popular summer boarding house. For those wishing a quiet, clean and comfortable place to sojourn, it is unsurpassed. Mr. Dorman is a practical baker and conducts a bakery, also a grocery store which occupies a part of the front. Their trade is good and is increasing, and the summer months always finds the rooms all occupied.


The Charlevoix Summer Resort two years ago found it necessary to erect a boarding house on their grounds for the use of such members of the Society who preferred boarding to keeping house. The very rapid growth of the Society and the transient business which was attracted thither by the matchless beauty of the grounds, soon gave it the dignity of a hotel, and its rooms last summer were overcrowded. It is always in the hands of an experienced hotel man, and is patronized by the best class of summer sojourners. Its site is the most beautiful imaginable, fronting as it does the romantic scenery of Pine Lake, and furnishing a commanding rear view of Lake Michigan and the village. Its broad verandas and extensive grounds make it a paradise for health or pleasure seekers. An enlargement of this house is contemplated in the coming spring.

Back to Main "Rosa Nettleton Book" Page