Back to Main "Rosa Nettleton Book" Page
January 3, 1886
Baxter Post, G. A. R., of this place have purchased a plat of ground of A. R. Upright, adjoining the Township cemetery, to be used as a Post cemetery.
A Birthday Surprise
There is something about Dr. Carlstein's home that draws as naturally as the loadstone. The last social magnetism that displayed itself was on Saturday evening-that being the occasion of the Doctor's 43rd birthday.
About sixty of the Doctor's and Mrs. C's friends at the latter's invitation surprised the "lord of the manor" by not a precipitate but nevertheless irresistible invasion, and the evening was passed most pleasantly as it always is under that hospitable roof. Mrs. Carlstein's deft hands had secretly provided a repast for the guests and at 10 o'clock the dining room door was thrown open to a hungry crowd.
That a quarter of a century hence we may be able to repeat the invasion under the same impulse, is our sincere wish.
New Year Calls
The following ladies have signified their intention to receive calls on New Year's Day:
With Mrs. Dr. Carlstein: Mrs. L. E. Allen, Mrs. G. W. Crouter, Mrs. E. M. Clark, Mrs. A. D. Cruickshank, Mrs. N. L. Case, Mrs. A. F. Draper, Mrs. H. S. Harsha and Mrs. R. Lake.
With Mrs. D. C. Loveday: Misses Flora Nelson, Sadie Miller, Luna Washburn, Maud Loveday, and Bertha Mills.
With Mrs. O. S. Washburn: Mrs. L. Blanchard, Mrs. A. T. Washburn, Mrs. J. S. Dixon, Mrs. A. R. Upright, and others.
With Mrs. O. D. Wood: Mrs. J. M. Eaton, Mrs. E. H. Green, Mrs. W. A. Smith, Mrs. James E. Wood, Mrs. Fred A. Smith, and Miss Nettie Hawks.
Mrs. Wood, with her associates, will in the evening give a reception to the Historical Society.
The Masonic Festival last evening was a success. A large number of the families of the members and many invited guests were present. Lieut. Gov. Buttars installed the officers, assisted by J. Reed Emrey. Rev. Brothers Howe of Norwood and McCartney of Atwood, were present and made interesting addresses.
Lieut. Gov. Buttars, on Monday night next, will dedicate the new Masonic Hall at East Jordan. He will be assisted by several Charlevoix Masons.
January 10, 1886
The public reading room was opened Monday morning.
The Historical Society meets at Dr. Carlstein's Friday evening. H. Lee Iddings has a paper on Sir Walter Scott.
The M. E. Sabbath School was reorganized last Sabbath with the election of the following officers: Superintendent, Lieut. Gov. Buttars; Assistant Supt., Miss Alice Cochran; secretaries, Joseph Goss and Miss Anna Bell; Treasurer, Miss Ella Smith; Organist, Misses Luna Washburn and Sadie Miller; Artist, Mr. A. T. Washburn; Librarians, Mr. Fred Green and Miss Florence M. Smith. A successful year is anticipated.
New Year's Day
The calling mania did not afflict our people this year as seriously as it did the first day of 1885, yet a few parties of gentlemen and some stray callers paid their compliments to the several ladies and the assistants in the afternoon, and the enjoyment of the occasion was complete. At Mrs. O. D. Wood's, Mrs. Loveday's, Mrs. Washburn's, and Mrs. Carlstein's-forming a circle of small extent by great results-the gentlemen were received with the hospitality and grace which Charlevoix ladies always exhibit on these occasions. The tables were bountifully supplied and all went merry as a marriage bell.
The Indians of Michigan
Edward P. Allen, late agent of the Mackinac Indian Agency, Ypsilanti, in his annual report says that Indians in Michigan are not known or recognized by tribal relations, either by state or law treaties; they are in all respects on an equality with the whites before the law, and are scattered over the entire state north of the capital in small groups, no one settlement exceeding 200 souls. There are 3,000 in all who are very poor. Had they held on the lands given them by the government they would now be comfortable, but the whites crowded into their neighborhood, bought their lands at nominal prices and crowded the Indians to the wall.
It is too late to remedy the evil and as a result, the race will disappear in Michigan in fifty years. During the year the agent undertook to establish night schools but the experiment was only partially successful and the results do not justify the extra work of the teachers. Eleven day schools have been maintained during the year and were fairly successful.
In test cases the United States district court held that the clauses in the Michigan treaties forbidding the sale of intoxicating liquors to Indians could not be enforced, they being to all intents and purposes, citizens. This decision let down the bars, and many dealers who had heretofore refrained from selling, sought the custom of the Indians, and yet the agent is satisfied that drunkenness has diminished among them.
January 17, 1886
Mr. Smith of the Sentinel, Charlevoix, was presented Christmas, with a handsome gold-headed came by the members of the M. E. Church, who expressed their appreciation of his valuable services as musical director in church and Sunday School for a long time. See what an editor gets for having music in his soul!
A new covered stage is being built at Petoskey for the Charlevoix stage line. It will be larger, warmer, and more conveniently arranged than any in this region. It will be placed on the route this week under the command of that efficient driver, "Capt." Bi. Smith.
January 24, 1886
A large number of Miss Lottie Mason's friends tendered her a pleasant surprise at the residence of John Ackert last evening.
Peter Naw-gaw-nee living at Whiteville, Isabella county, a Chippewa Indian, has come down to us from a former generation. He is 90 years old, and claims to have known General Hull, and was 15 years old when Tecumseh died. He was a warrior under Pontiac and took part in the siege of Detroit, the massacres on the Wabash, Maumee, Raisin, and Bloody Run. Pete has taken heap scalp but is good Indian now, having been converted to Christianity.
February 7, 1886
The Public Reading Rooms
Time is money, and the time that is passed in the society of books and magazines of the Charlevoix Reading Rooms, is better than money.
The rooms are open daily from nine o'clock in the morning until nine in the evening, every week day, from one to six p.m. on Sundays. Books can be drawn by anyone on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Miss Berdan, the efficient librarian, keeps a register of visitors. During the three weeks the rooms have been open 237 visitors have been recorded.
The library contains a choice selection of 454 volumes which doubtless will be increased to 1,000 in the spring.
An organ has been ordered for the Charlevoix Schools.
January 31, 1886
Upright Bros. moved their real estate office, Saturday from the Ingleside into Upright and Emrey's Store, where suitable quarters have been provided.
The necessity of a bridge across the Arm at Ironton has become a pressing one. The Board of Supervisors should give this matter their attention at an early day. An uninterrupted highway across the Arm at that point is greatly needed.
There are many in Charlevoix who will rejoice at the return of the Aldriches to their residence here. Mrs. Aldrich was always an "angel of mercy" at the sick beds of her neighbors, by day or by night, and we note that she is at her old tricks of carrying relief, and courage and good cheer to the afflicted. There are many families here who bless her name for kindnesses shown these many years. May the time be far distant when a return of these ministrations shall be rendered necessary.
February 21, 1886
Edward Slocum of New Richmond, Allegan county, owns the first Greenback issued. It is a dollar bill, bears date August 1, 1862, is marked series A. No. 1, and was paid to him as a Union soldier.
Prof. Allen has a Normal class consisting of Misses Cooper, Goss, O'Neill, and Metcalf, that meets daily. By the way Prof. Allen is competent to teach anything under the sun except Chinese and he is devoting a few hours each day to the mastery of that rough on rats tongue. Prof. Allen can talk you blind in seven different languages.
The Society met at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Brown, with an attendance of sixty members. The evening was especially devoted to Longfellow.
February 28, 1886
Perfection has been reached in the new covered stage that was placed on the Charlevoix and Petoskey route, yesterday. This stage is covered with oiled canvass and cedar, has a double floor and is painted vermillion.
February 28, 1886
Burns & Scroggie's covered stage did excellent service in conveying members of the Historical Society to and from the meeting held at Mr. and Mrs. O. D. Wood's last Friday evening.
After the reading of the minutes, Mr. R. W. Kane opened the exercises by a reading selected from "Speeches of Daniel Webster," bearing directly to and clearly elucidating the question now being so much agitated "offensive partisanship." W. A. Smith followed with a tenor solo, accompanied by Miss Florence, the solo entitled "The Bridge." After intermission Mrs. O. D. Wood and Mrs. F. A. Smith executed a pleasing piano duet-then followed the paper of the evening by C. J. Strang, "Chinese Gordon," an interesting article and evincing a careful research of the subject. "I cannot sing the Old Songs," rendered by Dr. Carlstein, and a select reading by Mrs. E. M. Clark, closed the evening program; after which the Society passed a very pleasant social time.
Paper next week by Mrs. O. S. Washburn, subject, "Isabella of Spain." Society to meet at Mr. and Mrs. A. R. Upright's.
Heath & Francis have a contract for building four boat houses on the Charlevoix Summer Resort. They are intended for the use of Gen. King, H. W. Page, H. H. Everard and E. C. Ware.
March 13, 1886
Hon. John Nicholls gives a party to fifty young people this evening in honor of his daughters, Misses Mamie and Celia.
The Charlevoix Minstrels
This organization has been in rehearsal several weeks and announce that they will give their first concert at Opera House next Tuesday evening. The boys have considerable minstrel talent, and may be expected to give a good entertainment.
April 3, 1886
At the republican caucus last Monday evening, the following ticket was nominated: Supervisor, Oscar Upright; Clerk, Horace Harsha; Treasurer, Harrison Bedford; Highway Com., Byron See; School Inspector, O. S. Washburn; Drain Commissioner, Alex Cameron; Justice, Robert Miller; Constables, Thos. Boak, George Pappin, Elmer Mayne, F. W. Mayne.
April 3, 1886
The noble red men who dwell near Harbor Springs, celebrated in great shape last week with what they call an "Eat-a-way." A horse that was killed in an accident furnished the feast and Pau-puk-keewis danced with Minnehaha, while old Nokomis puffed her pipe until the smoke rose o'er the sand dunes of the Nagow Wundjoo.
April 10, 1886
Last week 4,000,000 whitefish were planted in Pine Lake. The fry came by the way of Boyne City.
There were 217 pupils entered school Monday, the first day of the term. This is the largest enrollment for the first day of the term in the history of the school.
J. Milo Eaton, of Charlevoix, who was the Democratic candidate for senator from that district in 1880, and went down with his colors flying, has received his reward. He has been made Deputy Collector of Customs at the port of Charlevoix.-Detroit Journal.
Ninety-one millions of whitefish have been placed in the great lakes; thirty million in Lake Michigan; nine million in Lake Huron; eighteen million in Lake Erie; and 18,000,000 in Lake Ontario.
The new Green block is a daisy. Architects pronounce it to be the handsomest finished building north of Grand Rapids. The wood work is of ash, birch, birdseye maple, walnut and pine. The plate glass front will soon be resplendent with a gold leaf finish. The fine workmanship which has been done under the direction and from the plans of architect Kirkpatrick certainly needs to be seen to be appreciated. Charles Graves the painter has also done himself proud in his branch of the work.
April 17, 1886
To Mrs. Horace Harsha, a son, last Wednesday. Horace is the recipient of many congratulations.
Vote of Thanks
The Charlevoix Fire Department desire to return their hearty thanks to the Directors of the Charlevoix Summer Resort for their handsome remembrance and assure them that they will not be forgotten by the firemen of Charlevoix-A. J. McLeod, Chief of Fire Department.
April 24, 1886
A. R. Upright has taken the contract to fence the new addition to the Charlevoix Cemetery.
The whistles of ten tugs, ten steamers and four mills and manufactories will make music in the air at Charlevoix this summer.
Capt. John Mason has the frame up for a residence on the south terrace just west of John Ackert's. He will occupy it next month.
Perhaps it is not generally known that the metallic part of the badges worn by members of the Grand Army of the Republic must have eighty percent of metal of a captured cannon. The large number required is making that kind of ordnance very scarce, and a Grand Army badge is likely some day to be a cherished relic.
John O'Neill, senior, of Charlevoix might justly be called the father of the steam tug fishing industry. Fourteen years ago this summer he built the first tug that was ever used for fishing purposes on the lakes. He and his sons, who were always well known fishermen and steamboat men, were fishing in Green Bay, when it occurred to them that a boat could go out in any kind of weather, it would be a great advantage to their nets and would be a good idea. They accordingly had the tug Kittie Gaylord built, notwithstanding the prophesies of the other fishermen on that shore who claimed she would be a failure, but as this proved to be true the next spring they had four steam tugs built at Milwaukee. Today Charlevoix ranks as a most important fishing station.
May 8, 1886
The Charlevoix Club
From the Chicago Journal:
In the summer of 1880 a party of Chicago gentlemen were visiting Charlevoix, Michigan, on a trip of recreation. One of them looking across beautiful Round Lake over at the promontory expressed his thoughts with the words, "that point would make a splendid place for a clubhouse." This remark unanimously concurred in by the other gentlemen presently led to further talk on the subject and so impressed were they all with the feasibility of the idea that plans for its realization were discussed and perfected. A refusal of the tract of land was secured, a payment was made to bind the bargain, and from this impromptu beginning the Chicago Summer Resort Company had its birth. After the return of the gentlemen to Chicago their enthusiasm on the subject was imparted to a few congenial friends and a stock company was organized and incorporated June 2, 1881. One hundred shares at $100 each were issued and quickly taken up. An Executive Committee was organized and authorized to proceed at once with the construction of a clubhouse of sufficient capacity to accommodate as many of the stockholders and their families as would probably avail themselves of it accommodation the first year. A plain, substantial, two-story building with two wings, 100 x 80 feet each, with high central cupola, from which can be had the most comprehensive and charming view to be seen anywhere in the vicinity, was erected. The Chicago Resort speedily grew in popularity, and to relieve the pressure of the demand for accommodation in the public house, individual cottages were erected by some of the stock holders where families could retire by themselves and enjoy the seclusion, quiet and rest of their own homes. The plan from the first was to establish a common resort where members and their families could social worship and intercourse and amusements.
Each succeeding year has seen additions to the memberships, until at the present time ten attractive cottages adorn the sightly terraces adjacent to the clubhouse.
The company's boundaries now enclose about forty acres, diversified with terraces, lawns and woodlands, all harmoniously blended in a location that is said to be unsurpassed for beauty of situation and for healthfulness of climate.
During the past season considerable rough land has been reclaimed, graded and converted into lawns; the island has been cleared of underbrush and it is proposed to convert the same into an attractive park. Additional purchases of land by members gives the company title to the whole unbroken tract from the Charlevoix road as the western boundary to the shores of Pine Lake on the east. There is no limit to the facilities for fishing and boating.
Following is the list of officers: For 1886; President S. M. Moore; Vice-President, N. H. Blatchford; Secretary and Treasurer, William C. Warner; Executive Committee, S. M. Moore, C. F. Gates, and R. L. North; Directors, C. F. Gates, Lyman Burr, R. L. North, S. M. Moore, N. H. Blatchford, J. H. Moore, J. W. Scoville, M. E. Stone, and Rev. J. W. Donsmore.
May 15, 1886
Matters at Ironton seem to be going forward with the activity that usually precedes a blast. The furnace is being overhauled and put in shape, kilns are being rebuilt, and the smoke from several of them indicates that the charcoal product will soon show itself. The tug Bob Stevenson, which has been submerged for over a year, has been raised and a force of men are at work on her hull and machinery. It is intended to put her in good shape for doing the company's towing. Mr. Cherrie is personally superintending the company's improvements in all branches of its affairs. The date of starting up is not yet decided, but will depend upon the outcome of the labor complications. The Company has got out about 20,000 cords of furnace wood the past winter, and if matters adjust themselves satisfactorily, the Company is in good shape for a lively season's business. The schooner Narragansett will do the ore carrying again this season from St. Ignace. The good people of Ironton seem to be moving forward in material, social and religious progress. The G. A. R. Post is completing a neat and commodious hall, erected upon a site kindly given by Mr. Cherrie, and they will soon occupy it. The contract for building the "First Congregational Church of Ironton" has been let to the Charlevoix Manufacturing Company and the work will go forward at once. It will be 30 x 50, a neat and well built chapel. Rev. Wm. VanAuken, of this place, has done excellent work at Ironton, and already has a society organized there with something over forty members. Mr. VanAuken will continue his ministrations until such time as they shall secure a settled pastor, which the people of Ironton will be loath to do as long as they are so ably supplied at present. Miss Cherrie and Mrs. Adams, Mr. Cherrie's sisters, both active congregationalists in their home church at Chicago, have done much to make the Ironton church a success, as has also Mr. Cherrie.
May 22, 1886
Capt. Joseph Lobdell died at his home in the city of Green Bay recently. For the subjoined information respecting him we are indebted to the State Gazette: "The death of Capt. Lobdell made a break in the ranks of the older lake navigators, and was a passage to the other shore of one whose presence will be missed by many old comrades. Joseph Judson Lubdell was born Feb. 22, 1830, in Ontario county, New York. His family moved into Ohio when he was seven years of age, and resided in and near Sandusky. At the age of fourteen he was bereft of both parents, his father and mother dying within a month of each other. As a boy he engaged in sailing, and sailed some four or five years out of Sandusky, on Lake Erie. In the spring of 1850 he went to the Straits of Mackinac, and was one of the first settlers of Pine River, now called Charlevoix. He with his brother David Lobdell was on Beaver Island when the prophet Strang was killed. He being engaged as light house keeper.
June 5, 1886
The Charlevoix Public Library is in receipt of 200 new books and will soon get 150 more.
February 28, 1886
Perfection has been reached in the new covered stage that was placed on the Charlevoix and Petoskey
The 150 volumes just added to the Charlevoix Public Library were purchased through the popular drug and book store of F. G. Hines and Company.
The bridge swung 717 times in the month of May. Capt. Martin has kept an accurate record of the passage of all steamers, tugs, schooners and fish boats.
We were somewhat in error last week in stating that the first church service ever held in Charlevoix County was held in the log school house on the present resort grounds. In the old log house of Morris Stockman, which stood on the site of the present Bardeen cottage, there assembled the first church gathering in 1858 which was addressed by Father Steel, as stated last week. By the way, it is related that just before the service began, the congregation hastened out doors at the report of a gun, to find Morris the captor of a large hawk that had been a terror to his hen roost for some time.
June 26, 1886
Death of Mrs. John S. Dixon
It becomes the painful duty of the Sentinel to again announce the demise of one of the foremost ladies of Charlevoix and Northern Michigan-Mrs. Phebe S. Dixon, wife of Hon. John S. Dixon of this place, which occurred yesterday at 4 p.m.
Mrs. Dixon has for years been an intense sufferer from hernia, and has been continually compelled to wear a truss. On Thursday, she left it off and her habitual ambition in matters of household duties led her into over-exertion, which aggravated the malady to such an extent that Friday it became difficult to control, Dr. Lewis being called several times for its treatment. On Monday a council of four surgeons concluded that an operation was necessary, and although it was skillfully performed, it was of no avail, and death followed.
Mrs. Phebe Pratt Dixon was born in Lynne, Conn., June 6, 1820, making her 66 years old at the time of her death. Early in the forties she removed to Ohio, and in 1845 graduated from Oberlin College, Mr. Dixon, her future husband, having graduated from the same college the year previous. On July 1st, 1846, she married John S. Dixon, Orwell, Ashtabula county, Ohio. They soon after moved to Lansing, Michigan, and in 1855, they found their way north and with one exception, became the first settlers of what is now Charlevoix County.
Mr. and Mrs. Dixon were the government teachers in the school of the Indian reservation here and passed through the troublesome times of Mormon occupancy, in which Mrs. Dixon exhibited courage and constancy in acts which have gone into history as the brave deeds of a brave woman, at one time having walked the beach from this place to Bear Creek (now Petoskey) for succor from their Mormon persecutors.
The years following the advent of peace, Mr. and Mrs. Dixon devoted to the making of the home which is now so desolate; and the faithful industry and devotion to duty which has characterized her life for many years are familiar to all.
Mrs. Dixon was devotedly and intensely a domestic woman; a mother whose children may devoutly call her blessed; a wife for 40 years, a most devoted and faithful helpmeet; a ripe scholar, a consistent Christian, and a neighbor universally respected.
Beside her bereaved husband, the deceased leaves four children, Joseph R. and Mrs. D. C. Nettleton, of this place; Chas. S. Dixon of Cedar Rapids, Iowa; and Junius S. Dixon, a student in the Agricultural College at Lansing.
The funeral will occur at the house tomorrow at two o'clock; services by Rev. C. F. VanAuken, assisted by the local clergy.
July 3, 1886
Charlevoix strawberries, the largest and best in the world, are on sale in the market at six cents a quart.
Among the guests at the Fountain City House are Mrs. C. M. Smith and daughter of Springfield, Ill., sister and niece of Abraham Lincoln.
July 3, 1886
Will Aldrich, a graduate of the Sentinel office, and for two and a half years a compositor in the office of the Chicago InterOcean, is in town at the residence of his mother. He will remain about two weeks.
Death of Medad Thompson
Medad Thompson of this township died at 11:30 P.M. Monday, aged 86 years, three months and twenty days. "Uncle Medad" as he was commonly called by his friends and neighbors, was the earliest settler of the Pine Lake region. He was born in Heckimer county, N. Y. March 22nd, 1800, was married in Springfield, Pa., in 1824, emigrated to Missouri in 1834, removed to Iowa in 1836, and in 1850 went to California, where he remained two years, and then returned to his former home in Iowa. In 1854 he settled at the foot of Pine Lake, upon the farm which has been his home.
"Uncle Medad" was always an industrious and honest man, and was universally respected. He leaves a widow and eight children, all now living in Charlevoix county.
The funeral occurs this afternoon at the residence. Rev. J. T. Iddings will officiate.
July 31, 1886
Junius Dixon graduated in this year's class at the State Agricultural College and has returned to his Charlevoix home.
Frank Hines and family now occupy the house of L. D. Bartholomew near the drug store and will attend to calls for drugs both day and night.
Mrs. George W. Crouter and daughter Effie, returned on the Champlain Thursday from Dakota. We regret to learn that the health of the latter is not improved.
Chicago Summer Resort
The chapel of the Club House was crowded Friday evening. The occasion was the reading of the "Courtship of Miles Standish," by Mrs. H. N. Blatchford, of Chicago, which was happily illustrated by numerous Tableaux by the young people of the resort. The leading parts were impersonated as follows: Priscilla, Mrs. Wiley; John Alden, Robert Sessions; Miles Standish, Harry Smithson; Indian Chief, Mr. Harmon.
The costumes were unusually good, considering the difficulties encountered in procuring them. Mrs. Blatchford's conception and rendition of the piece was very praiseworthy.
[Because it contains so much of early Charlevoix history, the following, (written in 1915), has been added.-R. N.]
FOREWORD TO A HISTORY OF CHARLEVOIX
By David C. Nettleton
[Which was planned by David C. Nettleton and some material and notes for the book were all that were found at the time of his demise. David C. Nettleton died on February 26, 1916.-R. N.]
If you have a house to build or an enterprise to be prosecuted and wish to employ a foreman to oversee the same, one of your first inquiries will be as to the experience of knowledge of an applicant for such a position.
In the compilation of the events herein related it would seem appropriate to state the basis of my information so that the reader may judge of the reliance to be placed on the self-imposed task upon which I have entered.
I landed at the old Fox and Rose wood dock that ran out into Lake Michigan, on May 22, 1867. At that time, the Pine River, as the little Hamlet was called, consisted of only about half a dozen houses.
Fox and Rose had a store on what is now River Street, and the Wood Yard for the supply of Buffalo Steamer occupied the space in the near vicinity.
Richard Cooper kept the Fountain City House on River Street, North Side about 200 feet west of the Bridge.
Nelson Ainslie and family were living on Block 4 of plat of Village of Charlevoix as platted by John S. Dixon in 1866.
Philo Beers had a small Drug Store and kept the Post Office on Block 2.
Seth F. Mason and family lived in a log house at about lot 7 of Block 20 of Newman's Addition.
A Block House, on unplatted ground, about 20 rods N. E. of the bridge, occupied at intervals by transients, comprised the village.
John S. Dixon and family lived in a log house near the beach of Pine Lake near the present Freight Depot of the P. M. Railroad. Hugh Miller on a farm not far from the beach of Pine Lake on the N. 1/2 of Sec. 35-34-8.
Medad Thompson and family on farm to the north of the Miller farm and S. S. Wakefield and family on farm on S.E. 1/4 of Section 34.
Indian Chief Louis McSauba lived to the North of the Dixon farm.
An Indian village called Pashabatown, of four or five houses-these constituted the inhabitants of the present township of Charlevoix.
The writer's credentials must be the fact that he came in the year 1867 as stated and that he became intimately acquainted with all of the parties named and also with every other of the then residents of Charlevoix County.
John S. Dixon had purchased the land about Round Lake and move his family to the place about 1855, but owing to trouble with the Mormons, he removed to Northport returning a year later to Pine River. Some of the older maps give the name of "Green River" to the outlet of Pine Lake, and the name of Pinepun Lake to the lake.
The river, in a state of nature was in places little over two feet in depth, and the current very rapid. Trees had fallen out over the water, the tops of which had been cut off to allow small Mackinac fish boats to pass to Round Lake. A tow path had been made along the south bank and boats landed near the mouth of the river and threw out a tow line and the boat would be towed and poled laboriously up the river.
Charlevoix Township was subdivided into sections by U. S. survey in 1841 and the following entry appears in the notes of survey:
"The soil of this township is sandy. The S. W. part is mostly swamp. The outlet to Long Lake widens about midway in its course to Lake Michigan; it, however affords two feet of water entirely through, but in some places very deep. Certified to this 22 day of Oce. 1841, Ch. W. Cathcart, Dep. Sur."
The county had been sparsely settled by the Mormons in 18__, but had mostly left about the time of the Mormon expulsion from Beaver Island after the shooting of "King" Strang.
In the spring of 1867, the entire number of clearings that had been made by them and others did not exceed a dozen and the shores of Pine Lake were practically an unbroken forest of the finest of Maple, Beech, Birch and Elm timber, with Cedar in the lowlands.
The Settlers later, cut this timber into cord wood, hauled it to the beach where it was loaded upon scows and towed by tugs down to the upper end of the lower river where it was placed on tram cars hauled by a horse, and taken out on the Fox & Rose dock for steamboat wood.
Fishing was quite an industry, and while a number made the river their headquarters, their shanties were scattered, at intervals, all along the shore. Mackinac boats were used exclusively as a steam fishing craft was then unknown.
In the spring of the year, a steady stream of suckers, some six or eight feet wide passed up the river on one side, and a stream of herring of equal width on the opposite side, for days together.
There was very few teams in the country and most crops were "hoed in" with great expenditure of labor. Potatoes were planted by digging a hole about six inches deep with a heavy "new land hoe" and then covering by hoeing the earth from all sides. When finished the entire ground was thoroughly cultivated and it received no further attention until digging time.
The first bridge across Pine River was a foot bridge about four feet
wide and some two feet above the water, constructed by driving small piles,
by hand, placing stringers thereon, and planking over, leaving a few planks
loose for the passage of small boats. This bridge was replaced by a highway
pile bridge about 16 feet above the water, and with a draw or lift section
to let small boats through. The lift was operated by a rope running to a
winch on the South shore, and it took nearly the entire available population
of the town to manipulate the draw.
Back to Main "Rosa Nettleton Book" Page