Back to Main "Rosa Nettleton Book" Page
January 3, 1896
Friday evening last was the occasion of a very pleasant gathering of the Masonic fraternity at their hall. Friday was a Masonic feast day, the Festival of St. John the Evangelist, and a feature of the occasion was a repast that would do credit to Delmonico.
The installation of officers was the principal business of the evening, after which toasts were given by the Worshipful Master, and responded to by Brothers McCartney and Estabrook in remarks that were highly edifying to all present.
Brother Green responded to the toast, "The History of Pioneer Masonry in Charlevoix." The Major could speak as one having knowledge, he having been the first Master.
After referring to the fact that next May would be the twenty-fifth anniversary of the organization of the Lodge, Brother Green went into reminiscences and related how eight Masons secured a charter a quarter of a century ago; how the secretary made a desk from a dry goods box; how the officers' jewels were made of tin; and how the lodge has grown in these years from so small a beginning to its present membership of 105.
It is the purpose of the Lodge to appropriately celebrate its twenty-fifth anniversary next May, and to make it an event in the history of Masonry in Northern Michigan that should leave a conspicuous milestone by the wayside.
The fraternity have recently acquired the ownership of a very desirable site on Bridge street and they are already planning to erect a temple that shall be an honor to them and an ornament to "Charlevoix the Beautiful."
January 10, 1896
The Beaver Island Winter
The Beaver Island mail boat has made its last trip, and our island friends are closed in for the winter. But it will be a shorter winter for them than any in their history, up to date. Three months, or perhaps a week or two longer, will let them out again, and will renew the friendly intercourse that has been so greatly augmented by these recently improved means of communication.
During February and March we shall expect to hear from them, and perhaps see some of them by way of the ice route. But whether we do or not, here is wishing them a happy winter and a happy return of spring. They are as jolly a people as the sun ever shone upon, and as warm-hearted and hospitable. May this shadow never grow less.
When we look out over the broad expanse of ice this winter, some of us will wonder how the inhabitants of "little Ireland" occupy their time. It is easy told. By day they apply themselves diligently to their industries. By night they visit their neighbors and dance.
Dancing among the Beaver Islanders is as much a part of their winter existence as eating. About every man is a fiddler, and everybody dances. When winter fairly closes in, the people begin to make the rounds. First they drop in upon Henry Hardwick, the only German on the island. Mr. Protar, the Russian count, is next visited. Then to Mrs. Bonar's, next to Donamore's followed by a night at Jim Mooney's and then to Sam Dunlevy's go the merry-makers. Mrs. McCafferty's house comes next where they are always sure to wind up with an old-fashioned Irish jig. Then Hugh Bigbiddy gets the crowd, and then Capt. Andrew Roddy.
This usually finishes the country circuit, and the village people exchange courtesies next, and the country participate. Wherever they go they take possession removing the cook-stove outside for to make room for the dancers. Everywhere they dance and feast, and everywhere they are joyously welcomed. The "big hall," built in Mormon times, is the scene of many a jolly hop before the ice goes out and thus, all the long winter, the sound of the fiddle mingles with the merry laughter of the lads and lassies.
Cheerfulness reigns supreme, and no mortal creature goes hungry. They have no poor house and no poor fund. Everybody's latch string hangs out, and the doors are never locked. On Sunday, from far and near the gather to worship in the faith of their fathers, and hear words of spiritual counsel from the lips of the aged priest. When sickness or death comes, they minister to each other with tenderness and the big-hearted priest goes over the deep snow and frozen lakes to administer consolation to the sick and extreme unction to the dying.
January 24, 1896
The members of Charlevoix Chapter Eastern Stars swooped down upon J. M. Ackert and wife Monday evening taking their refreshments with them. They tell us it was a great event. The crowd stayed until long after midnight and the enjoyment of the occasion was unrestrained.
H. L. Iddings, Worshipful Master of Charlevoix Lodge No. 282, F. & A. M., will leave next Monday for Saginaw to attend the annual session of the Grand Lodge.
Mr. J. W. Harris of this place, has accepted a position in the engineering department of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Co., and will leave with his family this week or next. Mr. Harris came here as the resident engineer of the C. & W. M. when the road was built and had the most difficult residency of any on the line of the extension, his work including the Charlevoix Railroad bridge. Mr. Harris will be missed in Charlevoix.
January 24, 1896
OUR SHIP MASTERS
Skippers Who Sailed The Raging Main Out Of The Port of Charlevoix
Capt. "Billie" Finucan, the popular master of the steamer City of Charlevoix, of the Northern Michigan Line, is but 37 years of age, but he is an "old timer."
He was born near Prescott, Ont., and at 17 years of age he shipped as watchman in the propeller Granite State, of the old N. T. Co., running line of boats between Ogdensburg and Chicago.
At 21 he had gained a second mate's berth, and shipped in the City of New York on the same line, remaining on her until the line broke up and the boats scattered.
When the Lawrence came here in 1881 and Capt. Finucan went as second mate in her, but was soon promoted to chief mate. In 1887, when the Vernon was lost he was given command of the Lawrence, and sailed her four seasons, on the Northern Michigan and Chicago route. In 1882 he left the line and sailed the Puritan for the Seymours but the Northern Michigan people coaxed him back the following year, and put him on the pilot house of the City of Charlevoix, which he has sailed since.
Capt. Finucan is one of the most capable and popular steamboat captains on Lake Michigan.
The City of Charlevoix is his pride, and the confidence of passengers in both boat and master is unlimited. The captain resides in Charlevoix, and is devotedly attached to home and family.
February 7, 1896
OLD STEAMBOAT DOCK
How a Sore Foot Brought About the Building of the Outside Steamboat Landing
Old settlers will remember the old steamboat dock over on the Lake Michigan beach; newcomers, from the north pier, may see the broken piles sticking out of the sand. That dock was once the distributing point for the Pine Lake region, and has held the hawsers of many, very many, of the finest steamers that plowed the lakes in those days.
Well did you ever hear how the old dock came to be built?
This is the story. Away back in the days of the war, Fox & Rose, with headquarters at Northport, had branch stores at various points. "Old Bushaw" ran a store for them at Little Traverse. They had another at Cheboygan. During the winter it was the custom of H. O. Rose to make the rounds of these places. In March 1865, Mr. Rose made one of these trips, with an Indian pony and jumper, and an Indian guide and driver.
There were no roads then. The trails well known to the Indians, were the only avenues of travel. On this particular trip, Mr. Rose and his Indian left Little Traverse on a return trip. The trail led southward from Bear Creek, and, crossing Bear Lake, came out on Pine Lake at Horton's Bay. They reached "Old man Horton's" in time for dinner, after which they started down Pine Lake. The ice was covered with slush, which increased in depth as they traveled. They had not traveled three miles before the pony was in the slush to his body, and the jumper nearly buried. Both Rose and the Indian had snowshoes with them. Buckling these to their feet they resumed their journey on foot, the poor pony with difficulty dragging the empty jumper. Traveling on snowshoes through slush is not easy traveling. The rawhide thongs cut and chafed the flesh, and when, long after dark, the lights in J. S. Dixon's house on the bluff came in sight, Mr. Rose was about used up. His feet were swollen and bleeding.
Mr. and Mrs. Dixon kept Mr. Rose with them several days, until he recovered sufficiently to proceed on his way. As they sat by the fire one evening, Mr. Dixon broached the dock question and made a proposition to give Mr. Rose a strip of land on either side of the river on condition that he build a dock. Both Mr. and Mrs. Dixon argued eloquently with Mr. Rose, setting forth the extraordinary facilities existing here for wooding steamboats, and finally Mr. Dixon drew up a contract and submitted it to Mr. Rose.
He retired that night and thought the matter over carefully and in the morning, after an excellent breakfast, signed the paper that was to give Pine River a dock. The spring of 1866 the work began and in the fall was completed, and Amos Fox came here from Northport to conduct the business.
February 21, 1896
The late Thomas Kelley was a character in his way. So far as military spirit was concerned, he was the personification of patriotic ardor, and was never happier than when accoutred for a G. A. R. parade. He was always one of the firing squad at military funerals and despite his weight of years, was alert in the execution of every command. Every trait of his nature was soldierly.
Tom had a brother William, who died and was buried in Eveline township about twenty-five years ago. Bill was a British soldier, too, and also served in the late war of the Rebellion, in a battery of the 1st U. S. Artillery, of which Chas. A. Smith, a brother of the editor of this paper, was orderly sergeant. About 18 years ago Tom went to Eveline and dug up the bones of his brother Bill, and brought them here in a bag, interring them in the Charlevoix cemetery.
Tom was a great friend and admirer of the late Walter Clifford, U. S. Army and to see these two veterans meet and salute was next thing to a dress parade. You could hear the Captain laugh a mile when Tom's quaint Celtic brogue was woven into a recital of his army experiences. Poor Tom; he has fought his battles both in peace and in war, and now sleeps in the soldier's grave. Green be the sod above it.
March 6, 1896
It looks as if we should have the magnificent steel steamer Manitou, with us next season. Mr. Austrian, of the L. M. & L. S. Transportation Co., was here last week and arranged to have the Manitou stop outside. The steamer Gordon will make transfers of passengers. Capt. O. E. Wilbur has been appointed local agent and will establish a ticket office.
Mr. Frank E. Wood's residence is the only one in Charlevoix the walls of which are frescoed and he has rooms that are the admiration of all beholders. As a work in decorative art Mr. Wood's parlor, sitting room and dining room are something to be proud of. The designs are harmonious, and the colors and blending delicate and tasteful.
March 13, 1896
Capt. Eli Tulouse of Manistee, a pioneer of Charlevoix, is here visiting friends. Capt. Tulouse was the first master of the tug Minnie Warren, in 1870, and for years was a tug-man at this port.
Dr. W. F. Lewis left yesterday for Munising to practice his profession. "Dr. Will" is a regular graduate in medicine and surgery, and has had good training under his father, Dr. L. Lewis. The young Doctor is well equipped, and has very many friends in Charlevoix who will wish him well in his new field of practice.
The village election Monday resulted in the election of the entire Republican ticket by majorities ranging from 48 to 70, in a total vote of 375, over a citizen's ticket, intended by its originators to embrace all parties.
The new council will stand as follows: President, Willard A. Smith; Trustees, J. T. Kirkpatrick, F.M. Sears, Harry Widdifield; Treasurer, A. Buttars; Clerk, H. S. Harsha; Assessor, F. J. Meech; Constable, L. E. Smith. The new members will be sworn in Friday.
April 10, 1896
A TIMELY RESCUE
Nine Fishermen Taken From An Ice Floe in Little Traverse Bay
"Nine men are being carried out on an ice floe off this place," was the startling intelligence that reached here from Bay Shore about two o'clock last Saturday afternoon.
A fierce south-east gale was blowing and it required but an instant's thought to realize the appalling danger that threatened the nine men then more than a mile from shore on floating ice, rapidly moving out of the bay toward the great lake.
It took but a short time to organize a party, and a boat was loaded upon a wagon and started north on the beach. After passing the point, the boat was unloaded, and dragged across the ice belt to the open water. Manned by Patsy Flanigan, George Weaver, Jos. Smith, Will Boak, and John Fagan, the yawl started for the distant group who were seen walking about to keep themselves warm.
But brave as they were it was for others to reach the unfortunate men first. The intelligence had reached Petoskey, and a special train started south with a boat and crew. They were already afloat when our boys reached the ice floe, first taking off the men in safety.
During all this time the wind was blowing a gale, and as the distance between the ice and the shore increased, the sea was rapidly making, and the danger increasing in the probability of the ice breaking up.
The men, four of whom were Indians, were mostly Petoskey people.
Tallies for Charlevoix
In the shuffle and deal, has it occurred to you that Charlevoix is getting pretty good hands these days?
1st. Charlevoix Harbor gets a $20,000 appropriation-the largest ever granted us, which insures a fifteen foot channel and permanent pier protection.
2nd. Charlevoix is added to the semi-weekly trips of the magnificent steamer Manitou-the finest on Lake Michigan, with the probability next season, of stopping here all three of her trips.
3rd. The big $50,000 hotel for Lindsay Park is an assured fact, and Charlevoix will have the biggest, grandest, and best located resort hotel in Michigan.
4th. All these things practically insure the construction of the electric trolley railroad, for which a franchise has already been granted.
To sum it all up, Charlevoix is in the lead. It means that Charlevoix has an impetus that shall pass all rivals; that "The Beautiful" will now forge ahead in the race for supremacy.
April 24, 1896
In 1881 the assessed valuation of real and personal property in Charlevoix township was $141,000. In 1895 it was $500,000. Quite a stride.
Capt. Wilbur will go to Chicago next week to take command of the steamer Petoskey, which will leave there on her first trip May 10th.
April 24, 1896
Dr. John Nicholls is home from college, and will visit his parents for a few days.
Mrs. F. M. Sears and baby Franklin left Friday for Saginaw to visit grandma.
May 8, 1896
Beginning Saturday of this week, by order of the council, the ringing of the curfew will be resumed. At 8:30 standard time, the boys must get off the streets or the police will be after them.
Miss Kate Smith and Miss Kate Kirkpatrick will give a program of piano music, assisted by Mrs. F. W. Mayne, at the Congregational Church Monday evening, May 11th, beginning promptly at 8 o'clock. All are invited to attend.
Manager Crouter, who has just returned from Detroit, says that Supt. Forbes of the Telephone Co. has assured him that the long distance telephone system will be in operation between Charlevoix and Detroit in October. The Charlevoix local system will be rebuilt this month.
May 8, 1896
We cannot blame the north-siders for feeling a little above the rest of us. That they are "stuck on themselves" is a manifest fact, but their vanity is not without warrant. The north side is certainly the loveliest portion of Charlevoix the Beautiful. Of course it starts in with a balance to its credit in being the most favored by nature. The Lake Michigan outlook along the curve of the "Petoskey Road" is enchanting, and the line of neat residences along the bend with their beautiful groves and well kept lawns, constitute a very reasonable excuse for north siders exhibiting their conceit. There is no more beautiful street in Northern Michigan than Dixon Avenue. It is a boulevard. Lindsay Park, the Meech conservatories and the C. & W. M. grounds are the pride of Charlevoix. The homes of the north side are among the best in our village and the improvements in progress and those contemplated will throw the south side in the shade.
May 22, 1896
Wheels! Wheels! Wheels! Everybody seems to have gone wheel crazy. It seems as if every soul in the census had a wheel. Girls and boys, old men and old women, figuratively speaking, are on wheels. The agencies receive them by about every train, and short skirts and knee pants rule. When will this all-absorbing mania cease? As for us, never, never, shall we get astride one of the beastly, blooming things.
June 12, 1896
Allen and Frank Wilkinson, well known here, constitute two of a vocal trio singing for Evangelist Wills, in Detroit. They have a $400 wagon, built expressly for the business, with an organ under the seat.
Services at the Catholic Church next Sabbath, at usual hours. Monday there will be celebrated the first marriage in the Charlevoix Church.
June 19, 1896
Three bright, winsome girls were added to the Charlevoix High School Alumni last Friday evening, but nary a boy! Amid the blending of class colors, the inspiration of sweet music, the fragrance of June flowers, and the applause of those who proudly and cheerfully pay the bills, three brainy young women, Misses Clara Eaton, Gertrude Myers and Nellie Nettleton, clad in spotless white, modestly proud of themselves and their Alma Mater, received from their superintendent the precious scrolls for which they have been striving all the days of the joyous school life.
June 26, 1896
That Magnificent Steamship Given An Ovation Here
Sunday was redletter day for Charlevoix harbor, and a milepost in its maritime commercial progress. The great steamship Manitou made a successful entrance into our harbor, and tied up at Wilbur's dock. Majestically the great vessel floated up the river between crowds of people on both banks, through the bridge, the south approach of which contained all the people that could crowd upon it. The Manitou is a screw steamer, built of steel throughout and is 300 feet long with a 42 foot beam and a depth, from the hurricane deck of 31 1/2 feet deep and divided into seven water tight compartments, in this way minimizing the danger of sinking.
To everyone the entrance of the Manitou into Charlevoix harbor was an event of great importance, as marking the progress of events, but to the old settlers, who watched the big black hull passing up through the bridge, it was more. The old settler remembers with what joy the little village hailed the entrance of the scow, Maple Leaf into Round Lake twenty-six years ago; and a few years later with what exuberance of enthusiasm they responded to the whistle of the propeller Fountain City as Capt. Gibson piloted her up through the channel.
As compared to the multitude who stood along the hillsides last Sunday, there were few who witnessed those stirring pioneer events, but to them the sign of the Manitou moored in Round Lake was a memory awakener.
July 3, 1896
FRANK MYERS DEAD
The Sheriff of Charlevoix County Passes Away Suddenly at His Home
Frank P. Myers, Sheriff of Charlevoix County, is no more. He died at his home in Boyne Falls on Monday evening, of fatty degeneration of the heart. Sheriff Myers had been ailing with a cold for a few days, but did not consider himself seriously ill. In the afternoon he made a trip to Boyne City, and returned home feeling very little worse. About seven o'clock in the evening, as he sat in his chair, he suddenly fell forward upon the floor unconscious. His great weight made it impossible for his family to help him up, and in a few minutes he expired without regaining consciousness.
Mr. Myers was known throughout the state as the "fat sheriff." The last time he was weighed in Charlevoix the beam tipped at 376 pounds. His excessive flesh had long been an affliction although he was active in the discharge of his duties, his death causes very little surprise.
July 17, 1896
Manager Patty, of the Chicago Club House, has a big tin horn that he has used seven years to call the cottagers to meals. It is about three feet long, black and well jammed, and it makes a noise like a big dog in a trap. It is just such an ornament as we have seen used on an old wood scow for fog purposes. Once a year Colonel Patty brings it down to the tin shop and gets it soldered up, and repels all propositions for a new one. Guests at the house have from time to time, offered to present the house with bells, gongs, and triangles, but nixie, Col. Patty hugs that old tin horn to his bosom as closely as the average shell-back democrat hugs the delusion that the tariff is a tax. The Colonel prances to the veranda and toots that horn as punctually and vigorously as the muezzin mounts the minaret and calls to prayer, and as faithfully to tradition and duty you can hear the dod-gasted thing down town and it has brought the bridge tender out many times.
July 26, 1896
The Belvedere is turning away people; the Chicago Club is full, every cottage in Charlevoix is occupied; roomers and private boarders are more numerous than ever, and the Inn is rapidly filling up.
July 31, 1896
Capt. Pratt, who has charge of the Indian school at Carlisle, Pa., reports that the Indians are no longer to be classed with the "untutored minds" which poets were so fond of giving them. It seems that 30 young Apaches are making creditable records for themselves in the Baldwin locomotive works and in other Pennsylvania concerns, and an instance is cited of Dr. Montezuma, a full blooded Apache who has resigned his $1200 position as physician in the Carlisle school because of better inducements offered him in Chicago. He is graduate of a medical school and has become talented in his profession. Dr. Montezuma was in Charlevoix two years ago looking for some of the young Indian candidates for the school.
July 31, 1896
The annual of the Charlevoix Summer Home Association, was held at Music Hall, on the resort, Tuesday, July 21. The president, S. A. Gibson, was in the chair, and 29 members responded to the roll call. Trustees chosen for a term of three years were H. H. Everard, Rt. Rev. G. D. Gillespie and Dallas Boudeman. Owing to the failure of the Belvedere to show its usual profits last year, it was found necessary to levy a special assessment on the membership in order to carry the association through the season without debt. A very flattering resolution commending the work of Mr. W. H. Miller as warden of the resort, was passed unanimously. The election of officers for next year will not take place until Oct. 1st.
Already there is serious talk of building an annex and casino at the Inn for next season. The hops at the Inn, now held in the magnificent dining-room, are becoming very popular, and the casino will be only another feature of the finest hotel in Michigan.
Professional beggars are thick in Charlevoix this summer. Some are afflicted with burns, and some with broken arms, and most of them are base frauds and should be run out or set to work on the stone pile. One of them with an "arm broken in the mines" struck Petoskey some time ago and the marshall took him to the city physician. The doctor broke the plaster of Paris cast on the arm and kicked the fraud to the street.
Back to Main "Rosa Nettleton Book" Page