Back to Main "Rosa Nettleton Book" Page
January 1, 1901
Up at Amos Webster's they have a fine eight pound boy.
January 15, 1901
Last Monday through John Monroe, the Charlevoix Township board sold to the township of South Arm the iron bridge in this city which is to be replaced by a new structure the coming spring. The price is to be $1,200. The bridge was built in 1878 at a cost of $4,200-$3,500 of which was paid by the county, the balance by the township. The bridge, as far as the iron work is concerned, is practically as good as ever. Its displacement at this time is due to the rotten wooden foundation and the demands of commerce for a wider draw. South Arm made a good bargain when they secured it, and it will just fit the spot.
February 5, 1901
About fifteen Charlevoix Masons, including Worshipful Master Hines, drove to Torch Lake last Saturday afternoon and attended a meeting of the North Star Lodge that evening. They went in George Burns' "street car" drawn by four horses. The roads were good, the night almost as light as day making the drive a most enjoyable one.
February 19, 1901
On Tuesday morning the work of bridge construction began. John Monroe opened up the work by setting a pile driver on the south revetment. Monroe's work will now progress rapidly.
Rev. Fr. Zugelder, of St. James, is corresponding with E. W. Coulter on the subject of pea growing on Beaver Island. The reverend father has offered a prize of $25 for the best yield of peas, and Capt. P. D. Campbell has offered to bring over free the first 100 bushels raised by one person on the Island.
March 5, 1901
Jake Rogers, of East Jordan, was down last week to arrange for transporting the old swing bridge to East Jordan. It is expected that next week the structure will be taken down, by the aid of Monroe's steam driver, and taken to East Jordan on the ice, in as large sections as can be handled.
Important changes and improvements are being made in the Congregational Church edifice. A gallery is being constructed in the east end, and that portion of the audience room below the gallery will be separated from the main portion by folding doors. The gallery will be used as an auxiliary Sunday school room and will very materially increase the seating capacity for regular services. Besides this an addition will be built in the southeast angle to serve as a parlor. A corresponding addition will be erected in the northeast angle enclosing the entrance to serve as a vestibule. The church will also be carpeted. L. N. McLean has charge of the work.
March 12, 1901
After his triumphant re-election last Monday, President Harry Nicholls is feeling good. He was worried considerable during the fore part of the day, but the gains were so heavy in the afternoon that his election was assured. We heartily congratulate the popular president, and predict for him a successful administration.
The old iron bridge, which we once thought was the only thing on earth (of its kind), is practically all taken down and is piled up in chunks on the revetment. Assistant Engineer Christie, representing the bridge company, arrived Saturday and will remain until the construction company arrives. Crushed stone for the concrete work is being hauled and Col. Wickham is watching things for the township.
March 19, 1901
Electric lights have been installed in the Methodist Church.
March 26, 1901
Capt. Frank Fountain has received orders to open the Life Saving Station here at midnight, April 4th. The Captain has also been advised from Washington, through Supt. Morton, that the station will have a full crew of seven men. Another thing that pleases the genial life-saver is the approval of his plans for the improvement and adornment of the grounds. As soon as possible this spring, the crew will be worked in shifts on the grounds, which will be graded and covered with loans from the swamp hole back of the station. By another season we will see at the station an artistic arrangement of lawn and flower beds from the station west to the beach.
March 26, 1901
No. 1, Vol. 33
With this issue the Sentinel begins the thirty-third year of its life. For thirty-two years the Sentinel has done duty loyally for Charlevoix.
The Sentinel began its career in February 1869, under the present management. At that time Charlevoix could not even be called a hamlet. It was known as "Pine River," and the nearest railroad connection was Grand Rapids.
It took courage to face and overcome the obstacles that presented themselves in the path of the Sentinel, but it lived and is alive today-very much alive. In all these years although it has been positive and uncompromising in its opinions, it has never lost the respect of the public.
So here goes for the thirty-third year, in the hope that it may round out a half a century under one publisher.
April 2, 1901
The Charlevoix Golf Club, which means practically the Chicago Summer Resort Company, for some time have been trying to secure the race track "40" to add to the domain of the golfers. Last Monday, at "town meetin'," it was voted to accept the proposition of $35 per acre, and the town is $1,575 ahead in the matter of cash, and short an excellent site for a fair ground and race track. But we will have the satisfaction of knowing that Charlevoix will have the biggest and best golf links in the state, and one of the best in the country. If there are any more forties laying around up that way it will be well to pin them down because the people have absorbed the spirit of expansion and won't stop short of Mt. McSauba and the railroad track.
April 23, 1901
At a meeting of the school board Tuesday evening Supt. Tice reported that there are 100 more pupils enrolled than can be comfortably or properly handled. The board decided to call a school meeting at once to take steps for the erection of an annex to the central school building.
April 30, 1901
Capt. Frank Fountain has begun to drill his life savers, and, although about half the crew are new men, good progress is being made. One day last week a shot-line was fired from the hill back of the station over the old pine tree on the north side of the river. Next Saturday afternoon the crew will be drilled for the benefit of the schools, at which time a man will be brought over the river from the old tree, in the breeches buoy. Regular boat drill is impossible now, owing to the absence of the launchway, but after that is built we may expect to witness some very interesting exhibitions with the big self-bailing boat when the combers are rolling in over the piers.
May 7, 1901
A large crowd of old and young lined the bluffs on both sides of the river at the life saving station Saturday afternoon to witness the drill of Capt. Frank Fountain's life savers. The gun, breech carriages and other appurtenances were planted on the bluff above the station early in the afternoon and the crew in their white working uniforms, were standing about. At sharp three o'clock Capt. Fountain gave a word of command and the drill began. Swiftly a hole was dug, the anchor planted and the main line made fast to it. Then Capt. Fountain pulled the lanyard and springing across the river and through the limbs of the pine tree went the steel projectile with a line attached to it. Up the tree shinnied a white-clad sinewy chunk of a man; tied to him was an iron grapple which he cast over the line and pulled to him. Then hand over hand he drew over the river the "whip" and made it fast to the tree trunk. The whip was double and ran through a block at the tree. Then five other white-clad men on the home side sang and pulled while the main line went to the imaginary wreck across the river, clinging to which was an imaginary sailor thinking imaginary thoughts about whether or not he is fated to get imaginary sand in his gills or be rescued from the imaginary rolling billows by the gallant fellows "ashore." As the line reached the tree there was attached to it a short board upon which was painted in English and French instructions as to the fastening of the line. The bright, well-drilled boy in the tree was a Swede sailor and knew what to do without reading. Swiftly the line was made fast to the tree, and then from over the river came the breeches buoy on the big line, the five men in white pulling on the whip as though the life of their comrade across the way depended upon their alacrity. Into the life-buoy sprang the "rescued" sailor, and across the river he went, with the five men in white pulling on the other side of the whips. All this time back on the south bluff, in his trim blue uniform, stood Capt. Fountain, now giving a quiet but clean-cut word of command, then lending a hand, but all the time moving, when he did move, with an air of confidence that the man over there two hundred yard would come in safe. Throughout the drill there was not a hitch or a tangle. And now good luck to Capt. Frank Fountain and his gallant crew down at the Life-Saving Station.
June 4, 1901
Tonight at the M. E. Church will occur the exercises attending the graduation of the class of '01 of the Charlevoix High School.
There will be flowers and white gowns and diplomas; there will be gratified teachers and proud parents; there will be the school board in all its dignity and there will be many school patrons who pay the bills. It is a goodly class, this class of '01, all girls but one, and he is a boy-lonely but proud boy. The class of '01 has the cordial congratulations of the Sentinel. It is composed of a bright double quartette of young people who emerge from the humdrum of school life well equipped for life's battle-a credit to the school and the town.
The class is as follows:
Adeline S. Holly
Ora R. Cooper
Maybelle L. Francis
Jeanette P. Campbell
Mary E. Jones
Lulu M. Dodge
Wm. C. Bellinger
Mary E. Tysver
Go out into the world, young people, with the words of old Polonious to his son ever before you:
"And above all
To thine own self be true
And it shall follow as the night the day
Thou canst not then be
False to any man."
June 18, 1901
The construction of cement walks on Bridge street necessitates grading down the street to where it belongs. Therefore it has been ordered that the street committee cause a "cut and fill" to the required grade. The Caloupka and Burns walks are completed and the improvement will be extended along the Crouter front, and we presume the contagion will spread.
August 13, 1901
There is little doubt that a mother bear and two cubs are living in the vicinity of Mt. McSauba. Last Saturday Judge Mayne's boys and two chums were berrying on the east side of the sand hills and in searching through the bushes discovered three bears lying in a hole at the roots of a fallen tree. Three of the boys took a look at the bears and then "lit out" for home. Later in the day Jay Jones visited the spot and saw the tracks of the bears.
August 27, 1901
Supt. J. M. Tice is taking the school census and at present estimates the number [of] school children in this district at more than 800.
A much needed improvement was begun yesterday morning when the town marshall filled the mud-holes in front of the post-office with gravel. Of late it has been almost impossible to walk along the sidewalks without being splashed from head to heels with mud by the horses stamping. Those hitching their horses, might, with a little care, help to avoid this condition, but the greater part of the blame is to be laid to the council. A few dollars judiciously expended would do away with this nuisance. It is the little annoyances that leave a bad impression of the town.
September 10, 1901
Charlevoix will add her coterie to the various colleges this fall by sending the following you men and ladies: Misses Lelah and Myrtie Miller, Mattie Bedford and Flora Caldwell will attend the Michigan Seminary at Kalamazoo; Miss Maybelle Francis will enter the Musical School at Northwestern University at Evanston; and Miss May Gellick is to study at a school for trained nurses at Big Rapids. Messers Dare Burke, Burt Burnett, Rollie Lewis and Will Bellinger will enter the preparatory department of Kalamazoo College, the former two to prepare for engineering and the latter two for law. Sam LeFevre will attend the Kenyon Military Academy.
September 17, 1901
St. James is making giant strides this season. The new store of James McCann is one of the best in Northern Michigan and that of James Donlevy is very little behind it. Mr. Bonner's fine new hotel will be ready for opening next spring. Besides a large office and parlor it has twenty-five sleeping rooms. Up at the church Father Zugelder is building a fine stone pastoral residence and a frame dwelling for the five Sisters who are doing such excellent work on the Island. Many other improvements are being made and others contemplated.
October 29, 1901
I. Z. Merriam and wife of Whitewater, Wis., are at the Elston. Mrs. Merriam will be remembered as our old friend Sarah Inwood.
Neill Gallagher, known throughout Michigan as the leading fisherman and business man of Beaver Island, leaves St. James with his family for Escanaba, this week, where he expects to live. Mr. Gallagher has helped to make all kinds of history on the Island the past thirty years, and was dubbed in various places as "King" of the Islanders. While this title was never correct, Neill cut a wide swath there for many years and it is his own fault that he is not wealthy. While very peculiar and erratic, Neill Gallagher has a generous heart and a convivial disposition. Good-bye, old friend; we wish you well where ever you go.
October 22, 1901
That red light on the bridge is a big joke on the township board. Like the sun, it shines for all, if it is a danger signal. When the bridge is closed it shows the whole length of Bridge street, both ways, and says "stop!" When the bridge is open it is still doing business a little further north, but it still says stop. A screen on the north and south sides would not cost much, and would be of much better service.
October 29, 1901
IMPROVEMENTS AT BELVEDERE
Great changes are being wrought over at the Charlevoix Summer Resort Grounds under the direction of landscape gardener Wm. Oliver of Kalamazoo.
Away back in pioneer days the "old Stockman farm" was a beauty spot, with its terraces, sward and charming groves. We know whereof we speak, for thirty years ago the past summer we lived on the lower terrace in the old Stockman log house, surrounded by the rose bushes that even now partly surround the Bardeen Cottage.
But let us come back to the present. On the upper terrace the driveways, that have so long existed on the plat, are being graded, graveled, and beautified by narrow border lawns. The beautiful groves have been cleaned out and trimmed, and the shummocks leveled until a most charming series of wooded parks is the result.
The area fronting the music hall has been plowed up, and, when finished will proved a most beautiful "campus." Surrounded on four sides by its cottages nestled in the groves, this spot will be the loveliest within the boundaries of the "Home."
Down at Belvedere station the grounds have been newly graveled and a large oval flower bed created. The beach improvements are yet crude. The lagoon, however, is nearly done, and we may even now see what the finish promises to be. It is reported on pretty good authority that in the near future a large casino, or audience hall will be erected between the railroad and the lagoon.
Down at "Promontory Point" on Newman Street, Mr. Christy is having his grounds improved by a graveled drive and lawn adornments and similar improvements are contemplated in this vicinity.
The Association has planned improvements that will take three years to complete. These improvements will go far beyond the nature of those described in this article.
It is safe to say that when these plans are fully worked out, the Charlevoix Summer Resort Home grounds will exceed in beauty those of any summer resort in Northern Michigan.
On Monday the township board awarded the contract to Erickson Bros., for installing a steam engine on the bridge. The contract price is $1,050. The Charlevoix Lumber Co. has the contract to erect the engine house, which will be on top of the structure, over the center pier. The contract price for this is $200.
November 5, 1901
OLD CHARLEVOIX BUILDINGS
In connection with the probability that three brick blocks will be erected in Charlevoix next summer, the old settler counts the pioneer buildings that are yet in use.
Probably the oldest building on Bridge Street that stands intact and is now in use is the "Chamberlain building," on the northwest corner of Bridge and Clinton, now occupied by Fowler's meat market. It was built in 1867, and has had many tenants. The Sentinel was printed in its upper story in 1872.
The Mason home on the hill at the south end of Bridge street is one of the oldest residences having been built in 1869. The old Jackson Ingalls home on Main Street, owned by A. T. Burnett was built in 1868, and the Ben Campbell home, next lot west, was built in 1870. M. J. Stockman's residence was built in 1869. The Aldrich and Washburn residences on Main street (the latter has been rebuilt and enlarged), were built in 1867 and 1868 respectively, and the Morgan building on State street, near the Baptist church was built in 1869.
Perhaps the oldest landmark is now hidden by a modern front. It is the building occupied by Mrs. Cohen's store. It was the wing of the old Philo Beers house, which was built as early as 1866. The main portion of the building now stands on Main street, in the rear of Burnett's store.
The Fox store building, now occupied by L. S. See, was built in 1869 and the warehouses in its rear at the same time.
An old relic, now in good shape is the house occupied by A. B. Dahlmer. It was built in 1870 by Capt. Clifford and W. C. Newman, now deceased, for a store.
The old Fox home, west of the Fountain City House, was built in 1867, and the west wing of the old hotel was built the same year.
The wing of the handsome Green residence was built in 1868, and the old Ainslie home now the south wing of the Gellick building, was built as early as 1866 by a man named Van Riper; but the Bisbee residence, on Mason Street, is as old as any of them.
The Boak home on the north side was built in 1867, and the old Dixon house, now an annex of the Inn, was erected in 1870.
The only pioneer buildings left that haunt the eye of the enterprising citizen, are the old "Dougherty and Carr" houses on Bridge Street. They were built in 1868, and are now practically worthless incumbrances on valuable land.
November 19, 1901
The new high school building is nearing completion and it is hoped, will be ready for occupancy by the first of next term.
November 12, 1901
One of the notable business changes in the history of Charlevoix occurred yesterday, when B. W. Miller, of the firm of Carpenter and Miller, bought out the interest of E. Carpenter, the founder of the business. B. W. Miller who will be the sole proprietor of the business, is a Charlevoix boy having lived here since childhood. It is not generally known in this day and generation that Mr. Miller is a printer. He entered the Sentinel office in 1869, serving nearly four years. As a partner of his father-in-law, Mr. Carpenter, he has been actively engaged in the merchantile enterprise of that firm for many years, and perhaps no man in Charlevoix has wider acquaintances in the region tributary to Charlevoix than he. He has in these years built up a reputation for business integrity that is worth more than money. The Sentinel extends congratulations to the printer who has worked the old hand press a third of a century ago, to its stalwart old friend, Carpenter, than whom a more manly man never lived nor a truer friend ever looked you in the eye. Mr. Carpenter will rest the balance of his days, which we sincerely hope will be many and happy.
November 26, 1901
The school board will today inspect and adopt the seating for the new building.
Judge Mayne and Sheriff Pearson returned Tuesday from a hunting trip in the eastern part of the county.
Another resort will be established near Ironton. Last week parties from Burlington, Iowa, purchased from Miss Cherrie and Mrs. Adams, 205 acres near the Tooley farm just above the mouth of the Arm. It will be improved and cottages erected next season.
And now the business men of Charlevoix have a proposition to consider. They should at once unite in the work of making the sugar factory a success from the start, and the start is now.
L. Shanahan left Monday for Petersburg, Mich., where today (Thanksgiving day) he will be married to Miss Mary Denham, formerly a popular Charlevoix teacher. Mr. Shanahan's trunk accompanied him nicely decorated by the boys, who overhauled the dray on its way to the station. Mr. and Mrs. Shanahan will be at home in about two weeks in Dr. LeFevre's residence on Main street. The Sentinel extends congratulations.
December 3, 1901
Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Harris are at the home of H. V. Rifenburg, near Ironton, for the winter, making occasional calls on their Charlevoix friends. Mr. Harris has been doing railroad work in the far west, and is here for a well earned rest.
December 3, 1901
The Charlevoix Life Saving Station was closed at midnight Saturday. On the afternoon of that day Capt. Fountain and his men distinguished themselves by a rescue that adds to the distinguished history of that service. About three o'clock the look-out in the tower, by the aid of a glass, saw a vessel about ten miles out flying a flag union down. After getting word to a tug to follow him, Capt. Fountain ordered the life boat launched, and out through a big southwest sea they went, followed by the tug, which soon took the boat in tow. It was found to be the small schooner Nellie Johnson, which left here that afternoon for St. James. The vessel had sprung a leak, and the water was gaining on the pumps so that she was settling by the bow. The life-savers manned the pump, and the tug brought the whole outfit into port. But for the life-saving crew, the boat would surely have been foundered. About fifty bushels of the peas were wet. Capt. Johnson soon stopped the leak and again proceeded on his journey.
December 17, 1901
Winter fishing is in full swing at this port. John O'Neill has in commission the tugs Taylor, Minnie Warren, and Green, and Capt. Geiken is hustling with his tug. Results are very good, the catch being chiefly large whitefish of a very fine quality. The tugs go from 35 to 50 miles out, and are gone several days. The fishing grounds are from Fox Islands northward, O'Neill's tugs going north and west of the Beaver group. He shipped 3,000 pounds of whitefish yesterday.
The fishing tug, John Smith brought in the biggest lift of winter fish yet, about three tons, all fine white fish.
December 24, 1901
A bouncing boy up at Dr. Armstrong's home. The stork made the visit last Monday night.
Home from college-Will Bellinger, Dare Burke, Flora Caldwell, Nellie Burnett and Mattie Bedford.
Fred and Guy Green are home for the holiday. Fred is now instructor in the civil engineering department of the University of Michigan.
Married at the home of the bride's father, Rev. W. H. McCartney, Miss Cloe Edith McCartney to Mr. Myrton J. Fox, of Boyne City. The cards say "at home at Boyne City after Jan 15th." The felicitations of many friends of the bride are hers. The groom, who is a foreman in the employ of W. H. White & Co., is a very excellent young man. May long life and happiness remain with Mr. and Mrs. Fox.
December 31, 1901
J. W. Harris has bought the old Pierce farm on the north side of Pine Lake. The record of this old homestead is somewhat historic. Mr. Pierce acquired it in 1867, part of it from the government and part from the Indian chief Sha-wan-da-sa. It was used in the long ago as an Indian camp meeting ground. It possesses one of the most famous boiling springs in this section.
Geo. A. Horner, the expert accountant, is here again for a week or two to complete his work of setting up the new village bookkeeping system.
Back to Main "Rosa Nettleton Book" Page